• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NO PURCHASE Club for MARCH 2011

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go. This is the official NO PURCHASE Club for MARCH 2011. I propose these new fun-filled Rules:
  • No spending on any clothing-related items for yourself for this month.
  • No alterations spending
  • You yourself must perform at least 2 repairs on clothing you already own. (keeps you busy)
Some suggestions: -Check all buttons on your garments for re-strengthening or re-sewing -Sewing touch-ups where loose stiching is occuring (preventitive maintenance) -Shoe maintenance (Lotioning/polishing, sole edging touch-ups, etc. Exceptions and allowances:
  • You may sell to buy or trade items of equal value only.
Any and all spending must be reported. We'll do an official update half way through the month. This is only a one month challenge, so should be a good opportunity for those of you who would like to develop your skills of restraint. All are welcomed and encouraged to join. Again, those of you who are not SF members, should sign up and join our forum. We love new members. Play here or play at home, but do play. Please ring in a.s.a.p if you are IN. Sign-up begins now. Last call on March 04, 2011. Player list will be posted on March 04, 2011.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I did slip a few times over the last two months, I still think I did much-much better than before. Tax return season helped as well as the NPC. I'm in for this one, but I'm disclosing right away that I'm looking to buy a nice pair of loafers and a pair of shorts.

tone76

Reaction score
I've got too many pending alterations. I'll sit this month out, thanks.

Good luck to all those that are in.
biggrin.gif

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count me in. Just started a new business and will be shutting down the cufflinks business. The new business requires that I sit in front of a computer all day so I don't need any new clothes. And since optometry school requires that I be in shirt and tie but everything is covered by a white coat, I really don't need to impress much. And everyone else dresses like slobs so I'm already good.

Count me in.

I've been converting some pre-SF bootcut jeans (I know, I know, I was naive) to classic cut by hand. No sewing machine. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've some alterations planned, but I think that can wait until next month (i.e. April). Plus, I think I can wait on that Shetland sport coat, so I am in.
smile.gif

Mudhiker

Reaction score
In! (Still have 30 hours to make any last minute purchases. :)

I've already got half an hour on the sewing machine this morning and actually did a few button repairs today too.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out. Im actually taking Tuesday off in part to buy some jeans. Ill polish some shoes for solidarity

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Here we go. This is the official NO PURCHASE Club for MARCH 2011.

I propose these new fun-filled Rules:
  • No spending on any clothing-related items for yourself for this month.
  • No alterations spending
  • You yourself must perform at least 2 repairs on clothing you already own. (keeps you busy)

Darn, I was planning on joining this month, but I just took delivery this past week of a sport coat and suit from eHaberdasher that I need to have altered.
confused.gif

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
So DIY!

Yeah, but I don't think that for my first DIY sewing project that I'll be trying to put functional buttonholes in the sleeves of an Attolini....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads