• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed inverness Cape.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I picked up the attached inverness cape and I wanted to share my experience. First, without a doubt, I received more complements than anything I have ever warn (even Ferrari jacket and kiton jeans). I went shopping with it before Christmas, and easily 10 people told me they thought it was a nice cape. They all recognize it as the Sherlock Holmes coat. No, I didn't wear it with a deerstalker cap, for then it would have been a costume. It went well with a suit. Just the experience of so many people appreciating it was fun. It is also of a pretty practical design, since the shoulder cape can be tossed back and the arms left unencumbered.

I bought the cape from BOOKSTER on Ebay. They listed it for $400 with a buy-it-now option for $500. I tried to get them to cover the postage if I used the buy-it-now option, but they would have nothing for it. They said that the coat was listed on may peoples watch list and thought it would be sold quickly. They said they were "rare as hens teeth even in England". BOOKSTER seemed to be good to buy from, sent the item quickly, and the coat was as described. I did find, as with other clothing, that it appeared as a lighter color on digital photographs posted on the Web. The listing has lots of pictures (item number 290378551435)

Another seller on Ebay who had one over the last 5 months is "the-original-thrift-shop" on Ebay. My budget was tighter at the time and I stopped bidding at $300. I have looked on Ebay ever since that first one and found no others. I did come across someone on the internet making them up for about $850, but thats it. I have no regrets with the purchase (except that I have a trench coat and full length leather coat that I'm not sure when I'll ever wear now)

I strongly recommend the coat, regardless of how traditional you dress. I enjoy clothes, especially if I can get away with something a little different. Sometimes I wonder, from some of the posts I read, whether some people have lost the fun of dressing. This will certainly restore that fun. Happy New Years guys.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
stirpot.gif
In first.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With that new Sherlock Holmes movie, these are going to be highly sought after. You got yours in the nick of time.

Nice pattern. Good seller, I've perused their listings before looking for a Norfolk jacket.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Thanks

I just saw the movie and I don't remember seeing one on Holmes this time.
Also, its hard to think of any other piece of clothing that is immediately identified with a particular person or character.

Santa's cap, Madonna's conical bra, maybe Fess Parker's **** skin cap, but that it.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ran into such a coat, not a cape at a local costume shoe here in West Los Angeles. It must have been a very heavy mid 20s oz. tweed as the coat weighed a ton

Good buy on the OP's part. How does its weight feel on you?

Can you post better pics when possible...I might just dive into this too

bookster1uk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I picked up the attached inverness cape and I wanted to share my experience. First, without a doubt, I received more complements than anything I have ever warn (even Ferrari jacket and kiton jeans). I went shopping with it before Christmas, and easily 10 people told me they thought it was a nice cape. They all recognize it as the Sherlock Holmes coat. No, I didn't wear it with a deerstalker cap, for then it would have been a costume. It went well with a suit. Just the experience of so many people appreciating it was fun. It is also of a pretty practical design, since the shoulder cape can be tossed back and the arms left unencumbered.

I bought the cape from BOOKSTER on Ebay. They listed it for $400 with a buy-it-now option for $500. I tried to get them to cover the postage if I used the buy-it-now option, but they would have nothing for it. They said that the coat was listed on may peoples watch list and thought it would be sold quickly. They said they were "rare as hens teeth even in England". BOOKSTER seemed to be good to buy from, sent the item quickly, and the coat was as described. I did find, as with other clothing, that it appeared as a lighter color on digital photographs posted on the Web. The listing has lots of pictures (item number 290378551435)

Another seller on Ebay who had one over the last 5 months is "the-original-thrift-shop" on Ebay. My budget was tighter at the time and I stopped bidding at $300. I have looked on Ebay ever since that first one and found no others. I did come across someone on the internet making them up for about $850, but thats it. I have no regrets with the purchase (except that I have a trench coat and full length leather coat that I'm not sure when I'll ever wear now)

I strongly recommend the coat, regardless of how traditional you dress. I enjoy clothes, especially if I can get away with something a little different. Sometimes I wonder, from some of the posts I read, whether some people have lost the fun of dressing. This will certainly restore that fun. Happy New Years guys.

So glad you liked it but
confused.gif
As a gesture, when you asked for free shipping, we shipped it for £10..... to Canada
bigstar[1].gif
We are adding an Inverness cape to our made to order range soon,there are over 100 cloths to choose from, including Harris Tweed, a little late for this season, but in plenty of time for next!

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is something that not even UprCrust would have the balls to wear. Good choice sir! You are more than ever close to winning my sore and conflicted heart.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bookster...I look forward to seeing your range of this cape

This is good!!

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Very happy with the coat. I didn't mention the 10 pound discount on shipping since everyone would then be asking for it. Thanks. I do highly recommend this seller.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a similar coat under construction at my LA tailor. While it's not for my tastes or climate habits, it was well-executed, and its future owner looked good in it. That cape is surprisingly difficult to make.

--Andre

PTWilliams

Reaction score

ferguscan

Reaction score
The tweed inverness is awesome in theory, but I can't imagine ever being able to pull it off. I think the inverness would be easier to wear in dark city cloths.

Stuart

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads