• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva shirts

brescd01

Reaction score
I bragged too soon about having Riva shirts made for me. When I found out the price my shirtmakers charged, I balked ($439 w/o VAT). By comparison, they are charging $314 for a Simonnot Goddard shirt.

I have written to 4 shirtmakers for whom I have emails. Bugelli wrote me back immediately to say he does not use Riva (I did not ask him why). I wrote to a shirtmaker Andy bragged about on AAAC and two others whom I embarrassed to say I know or remember too little about to even remember why I have their emails.

I am sure Carl would say I am "very strange" for conducting such a global search when there are plenty of good shirtmakers here, but as anyone who has pursued Riva shirts knows, no American shirt maker uses them or is willing to get their product.

So I ask, besides the Kiton machine (Kiton supposedly has Riva cottons, unlabelled, as part of its own offerings), what shirtmakers accessible to Americans can use Riva fabrics, for the smallest prices?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matthew in Chicago is the only one I know in the US that buys Riva fabric.

Riva makes no effort to distribute in the USA.
I understand that Riva does not produce much fabric.
there is no need to set up a larger distribution system when your production is usally sold out

I have purchased some riva fabrics in the secondary market.
they were sort of odd open weave cotton/linen blends. or very lightweight lightly textured weaves.

tip top has ended up with riva fabrics. the factory tickets are removed, so you would not know where the fabric was produced
i found this site
http://www.furlanettotessuti.com/eng...ndproducts.htm
maybe they will send you swatches that you can pick from, then send them off to a HK shirtmaker.

ratti, another silk mill turns out very fine cotton shirting. they may also be using older looms.

Carl

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brescd01, We haven't made shirts in many years and currently do not have a workshop or factory in America but we do buy Carlo Riva fabrics directly. The fabrics are very beautiful but expensive. You would likely need 3.5+ meters for a shirt and even if you managed to find a local shirt maker to order at wholesale for you after you finished paying for the fabric and FedEx (they do not use UPS) with the way the dollar is you will be paying quite a bit for the fabric. I have considered selling Carlo Riva fabric in America but I wonder if the demand is there?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Many of my Kiton shirts use Riva fabrics. Very comfortable and durable shirting. Perfect for warmer climates like Atlanta in my experience.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have a ruler nearby but looking at some bolts of Carlo Riva 180s that are in a cabinet near my desk they are roughly 90 cm wide which if my math is not off this late at night is just over 35 inches wide.

The way we make shirts 3.5+ meters plus is correct. This is also the amount that Carlo Riva uses as a basic measurement.

This thread has been helpful to me as I completely forgot about some cashmere/cotton Carlo Riva fabric that I have that I am thinking about making into ties.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
36" fabric requires 3-3.5 yards per shirt.

Right. Completely forgot about 36" fabric.
facepalm.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Riva Kiton shirts.....just hate the double premium for the shirts!
musicboohoo[1].gif

Regards.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no offense to anyone here but Kiton could start using budget fabric and no one here would really notice. Maybe the shirtmakers can tell the difference, but I am very dubious that anyone can tell the difference between Riva and whatever cotton Finamore or Borrelli or any of the other high end makers. In other words, searching out Riva simply because it is Riva is rather silly, you would do just as fine with the other cottons the swiss and italian fabric makers offer.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
no offense to anyone here but Kiton could start using budget fabric and no one here would really notice. Maybe the shirtmakers can tell the difference, but I am very dubious that anyone can tell the difference between Riva and whatever cotton Finamore or Borrelli or any of the other high end makers. In other words, searching out Riva simply because it is Riva is rather silly, you would do just as fine with the other cottons the swiss and italian fabric makers offer.
I agreed with you until I got my first Kiton with the premium cotton.....a $950 dent......and did blind comparison with the regular Kiton/Borrelli etc. My tailor and myself got the cloth right each time.....sad once you get spoilt and they are amazing for the warmer Houston months. Regards.

Balthazar

Reaction score
Sator's favorite guy Charles Nakhle out of Sydney (Parramatta actually) was looking into adding Riva to his options as of the last time I talked to him which was about two years ago. In general, he is very reasonably priced (e.g. shirts with SIC Tess 2X120s for ~A$220).

Bit far away though
smile.gif

http://www.nakhleshirtmakers.com.au/...es-Nakhle.html

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The linen-cotton shirtings they have are spectacular, but I agree about pure cottons.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The linen-cotton shirtings they have are spectacular, but I agree about pure cottons.

I saw some really nice linen/cottons recently, no idea by who as I don't really pay attention to that. I could wear an all linen-cotton shirt wardrobe for business and casual.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
spectacular or just a wider selection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads