• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tommy Nutter Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Copyrighted images and text removed.

Last edited:

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good read. Much like the obit page of the Economist.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
nxqed2.jpg

this is so sick sweet

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Knew how to rock the tweed

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Funny, no mention of Sexton there.

Have you run into anythng from Nutter?

Note the 1988 pic above of Jay McInerney being fitted at Nutters.

- B

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seems like a man who was right for his times (w/ a fiitng name). i always liked the n!pple pic of bianca & mick in the limo....

* maybe it was @ the altar?

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Have you run into anythng from Nutter?

Note the 1988 pic above of Jay McInerney being fitted at Nutters.

- B

Yes, I have. I have a Blazer from Nutters around here somewhere as well as a jacket in a brown herringbone tweed. I will long rue passing up a Tommy Nutter sb overcoat, cashmere w/ deep vent. It fit perfectly, but the thrift store wanted fifty bucks for it--which I considered outrageous. I thought it would hang around until the five dollar sale. I was wrong.

btw, am I right to recall that there were at least two incarnations here? The first, Nutters, was the partnership w/ Edward Sexton; Tommy Nutter came later, I think. It also cheers me to see mention of Donaldson, Williams & Ward.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, I have. I have a Blazer from Nutters around here somewhere as well as a jacket in a brown herringbone tweed. I will long rue passing up a Tommy Nutter sb overcoat, cashmere w/ deep vent. It fit perfectly, but the thrift store wanted fifty bucks for it--which I considered outrageous. I thought it would hang around until the five dollar sale. I was wrong.

btw, am I right to recall that there were at least two incarnations here? The first, Nutters, was the partnership w/ Edward Sexton; Tommy Nutter came later, I think. It also cheers me to see mention of Donaldson, Williams & Ward.

Cool...post pics if you can summon up the effort.

Yes, I think you are correct. My guy was at Nutters before A&S, and then Sexton and he split.

- B

Guero

Reaction score
I think I saw a Nutter at Pitti Palace this summer in the men's and women's fashion retrospective. It was very interesting to see it placed in historical context, or any context for that matter.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It fit perfectly, but the thrift store wanted fifty bucks for it--which I considered outrageous. I thought it would hang around until the five dollar sale. I was wrong.

You should be whipped mercilessly for passing this up...at the thrift store for heaven's sake. Even at today's exchange rates...a bargain
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thread. A fitting tribute to a man who made cool threads.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sold a couple Nutters.

One was from the classic Nutter/Sexton period.

Even in blue flannel, the silhouette was singular.

Lastly, let us not forget one great, late-career Nutter client:

jack-nicholson_joker2.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero
I think I saw a Nutter at Pitti Palace this summer in the men's and women's fashion retrospective. It was very interesting to see it placed in historical context, or any context for that matter.

Here's a photograph of the 2007 Pitti show with Edward Sexton reprise of his Nutters numbers for Lord and Lady Montagu...white wedding three-piece trouser suits. The 1971 originals hang behind. On the right is a Tommy Nutter dogtooth morning tails and matching top hat, originals loaned by Timothy Everest who is nuts about Nutter:

19.jpg

The same Sexton remakes of his Nutters Montagu suits, but this time in Paris:

25.jpg

- B

Guero

Reaction score
I'm relieved to know I wasn't making it up. Unfortunately, I think the Nutter was placed in "historical perspective" by sticking it next to an Armani from the '80s as an illustration of the evolution of the men's suit. I guess even in Florence they can't all be Liverano & Liverano.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads