• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits by Jantzen

new obsession

Reaction score
Anyone had one made? How is the quality? Did you deal with them in person?

Saw a discussion on here about a 3 day turn around (in person) on a suit from them but this was a few years ago. Anyone have any more recent experience?

Also, anyone stopped in to see them recently? I will be there next week, will have some shirts done, and thinking about a suit. Any pointers? Individual idiosyncracies that I should know about?

Going to try and call this week to make an appointment, any tips are appreciated.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I visited Jentzen last fall, they were fitting somebody for a suit. Seemed to be full canvas, nicely constructed, good deal of handwork. I did not get a sense that the fabric selection is extensive. English is spoken well. The only think you will need to get used to is the sense that somebody is trying to operate a 5,000 square foot operation out of a closet. Overall, good value for the money.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Anyone had one made? How is the quality? Did you deal with them in person?

Saw a discussion on here about a 3 day turn around (in person) on a suit from them but this was a few years ago. Anyone have any more recent experience?

Also, anyone stopped in to see them recently? I will be there next week, will have some shirts done, and thinking about a suit. Any pointers? Individual idiosyncracies that I should know about?

Going to try and call this week to make an appointment, any tips are appreciated.

your first time there i take it?

there is a little guy with blue hair who scoots around on the floor like a crab. its very disconcerting, i think he can stand up, ive just never seen it.

anyhow, dont leave without learning some Cantonese profanity.

no real need to make an appointment there, but dont go around lunchtime, ppl lining up out the door (thats a whole six feet from the center of the store)

Leong (kolecho) had a suit made there I think, was a good price, but i recall him saying it didnt have the same attention to detail that his Chans have.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine got a Jantzen suit done (in four days no less!) the last time he was in HK. The final product is quite nice; especially considering the price and turnaround time.

koji

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Friend of mine got a Jantzen suit done (in four days no less!) the last time he was in HK. The final product is quite nice; especially considering the price and turnaround time.

koji

Define "˜nice', compare it to the quality of a known brand.

Jon.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question: what's the price like?

Is the only way to get one of these suits to go to the store? Or do they have a self-measurement program similar to Baron Boutique, etc.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
nah ricky has enough trouble with self measured shirts to venture into self measured suits too

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag

koji

I will be there for about 5 days, so your time frame seems to work for me. As I understand it Chan would take somewhat longer, albiet for (what has been described here) as a slightly better product.

Leong (kolecho) had a suit made there I think, was a good price, but i recall him saying it didnt have the same attention to detail that his Chans have.
I have come to understand that there is a difference between the two, but have also gathered that a Jantzen suit will be more inexpensive than a Chan, which is worth the trade off in my mind.

As for the suit, I am probably going to have them copy (generally) one of the two I will be bringing with me for the trip.

I will try and make a point of posting some pictures when I get back.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
your first time there i take it?

there is a little guy with blue hair who scoots around on the floor like a crab. its very disconcerting, i think he can stand up, ive just never seen it.

anyhow, dont leave without learning some Cantonese profanity.

no real need to make an appointment there, but dont go around lunchtime, ppl lining up out the door (thats a whole six feet from the center of the store)

Yes, my first time. As a matter of fact my first time to anywhere across the Pacific. I intend to be at the store as soon as they open, but may also try to make an appointment simply because I find life is better when people expect you.

I understand that you live on the other side of the world... Any advice for a 1st timer to Hong Kong, Taipei and Chuncheon S. Korea? (By the way, how can I be sure it is Cantonese profanity, sounds like a Seinfeld episode where Elaine is sure the nail-ladies are talking about her....)

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Chan suit in 4 1/2 days with no problem. I thought the little details on the Chan nicer and overall it is a much more relaxed experience. Jantzen's suits are, IMHO, wonderful values for the HK dollar.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I picked up a Chan suit in 4 1/2 days with no problem. I thought the little details on the Chan nicer and overall it is a much more relaxed experience. Jantzen's suits are, IMHO, wonderful values for the HK dollar.

Do you know the relative costs offhand? I have been unable to nail down a current estimate of a Jantzen.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw a couple people getting fitted and measured for suits there today. I agree, go alater in the evening. I think you'd be looking at HKD 4000 for basic fabrics (Italian) IMMSMC - this is based on something I heard in the shop a few months ago.

Chan can do something in four days - they're trying that for me now, after ordering some cloth from England. So can A-Man with in-store bolts.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I just saw a couple people getting fitted and measured for suits there today. I agree, go alater in the evening. I think you'd be looking at HKD 4000 for basic fabrics (Italian) IMMSMC - this is based on something I heard in the shop a few months ago.

Chan can do something in four days - they're trying that for me now, after ordering some cloth from England. So can A-Man with in-store bolts.

Later in the evening is better? I would have thought earlier would be better, give more time to get things done. However, later might be preferred, as I could probably check out Chan, Jantzen and A-man to see what the offerings are like before committing to one of them.

Any idea where A-man fits in the pricing spectrum?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they open around 11 AM. Doesn't seem early enough to avoid the crowds.

A-Man are priced a biit above Chan. ~10%. Their stocked bolts are mostly English whereas Chan's are predominately Italian, if that matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads