• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncontrived Personal Style

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After being absent from the forum for a few months, and browsing through the topics for a few weeks, I've had some ideas that may interest some members and would appreciate some more input if you desire.

I think what should be focused on the most in such a great forum as ours, is finding a personal style that works for you and sticking with it. Style is almost something that cannot be taught or learned, only refined. What works for one person won't necessarily work for everyone else. This, of course, is why one cannot find good fitting clothes from most department stores because they try to find clothing that works for everyone. In doing so, it works for no one.

For a while, I tried many different styles and with some things I'm sure I looked rather contrived. But, I always try to look at myself in my clothing and think twice, does this really look good on me, or am I wearing it because it's xyz label or style.

I take a look at people like Valentino and Matteo Marzotto, or even forumites Phat Guido and LabelKing. They almost always looks good and have a personal style that they stick to. I think we should focus on this, rather than the minor details.

We tend to obsess about all the small things, what color tie goes with what shirt, what shoes and belt, but doesn't this miss the point?

What are your thoughts?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very, very nicely put, sir.

My $.02 - Style is something inherent in each of us. Fashion and clothing is a way to put an outward expression of how you want to be viewed by society. You want to be viewed as a b-boy street guy? Wear Ecko and Phat Farm. However, STYLE, personal style, and the true definition of luxury, is what makes YOU feel good, and as you say, is always unique. Do as you please, and if it tickles you on the back corners of your brain when you look at the mirror and say "YES, thats it!", then you have found your personal style.

IMHO.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I agree with this. After years of trying different things you sort of find your niche that you're not only extremely comfortable in, but also exceedingly talented at.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker

My $.02 - Style is something inherent in each of us. Fashion and clothing is a way to put an outward expression of how you want to be viewed by society. You want to be viewed as a b-boy street guy? Wear Ecko and Phat Farm. However, STYLE, personal style, and the true definition of luxury, is what makes YOU feel good, and as you say, is always unique. Do as you please, and if it tickles you on the back corners of your brain when you look at the mirror and say "YES, thats it!", then you have found your personal style.

IMHO.

It only takes two Senior Member votes to ban you, and I am giving one vote.

Who will join me?

- B

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
After years of trying different things you sort of find your niche that you're not only extremely comfortable in, but also exceedingly talented at.

Well said! This is exactly what I was getting at.

presence

Reaction score
Wearing clothes is always going to be contrived. We all think we are wearing clothes for our eyes only, but that is a falsehood. We want our outfits to be noticed by others. Sublety, or a loud style it's all the same. Embrace who you are and what you like.

pdial

Reaction score
I thought this was a "forum" where you can have conversations and share opinions.... did I miss something?

lurker[1].gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It only takes two Senior Member votes to ban you, and I am giving one vote.

Who will join me?

- B

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ME

Throw him to the lions

Gerome3.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Throw him to the lions

Gerome3.jpg

yes, yes i agree. where are the mods? we need to report this "person"

IMHO.

we will not tolerate such honest opinions

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously - whats the deal? Am I new to the forums, yes, but I cant imagine my comment was THAT out of context? It was, after all, like all of your comments... just an opinion. Can someone explain how I pissed the whole world off here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads