• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moderate height-increasing (elevator) shoes- normal-looking

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in gaining just one inch or so above my current shoe-wearing height (5'11'')- which technically means (I think) that I need to get an elevator shoe 1 inch above the average shoe heel height. I'm not sure what the average shoe height is, but looking at my present shoes it appears to be about 1.5 inches? I guess this means I need to get " 2.5 or 3 in " elevator shoes... will these look ridiculous like the crazy 4'' or 5'' shoes I see people (tom cruise, Sylvester Stallone) wearing? Is it better to buy real elevator shoes or just get normal shoes and put in a 1'' sole insert? Would a 2.5'' elevator be difficult to walk in or change my stride?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the dress elevator shoes I find on the net seem to have unattractively large heels, can anyone point me to shoes with normal sized heels?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Short is beautiful. Keep telling yourself that as you fall asleep every night.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'11" is tall enough.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My advice:

1) Don't bother.
2) If you really want this, you're unlikely to find a stylish combo outside of bespoke/MTO. Some RTW makes have slightly higher heels than others, but not huge amounts. I've noticed that more traditional makers seem to have a marginally higher heel.
3) Unless you want the same problem women have, where some of their trousers can only go with some of their shoes (due to the longer hems for the higher heels), you will need to replace all your existing shoes with the elevator ones AND get all your trousers rehemmed.

FWIW, I'm short and even I can't be bothered with elevator shoes.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can always add 1/4 to 3/8 lift inside the heel. The lift is made out of cork then covered with leather. By doing this you would reduce the outside lift by that dimension. For example 3/8 lift on the inside, 5/8 lift on the outside. This would give you a full inch without it being as noticeable. Of course doing that would have an impact on the balance of the shoe.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I'm interested in gaining just one inch or so above my current shoe-wearing height (5'11'')- which technically means (I think) that I need to get an elevator shoe 1 inch above the average shoe heel height. I'm not sure what the average shoe height is, but looking at my present shoes it appears to be about 1.5 inches? I guess this means I need to get " 2.5 or 3 in " elevator shoes... will these look ridiculous like the crazy 4'' or 5'' shoes I see people (tom cruise, Sylvester Stallone) wearing? Is it better to buy real elevator shoes or just get normal shoes and put in a 1'' sole insert? Would a 2.5'' elevator be difficult to walk in or change my stride?

5ft 8 is average North american height, so you're plenty tall as it is. However, since you're asking...IMO, a 1" lift insert (if they even made it) would make your shoes unwearable as you'd be constantly slipping out of your heel.

To gain 1" increase, you'd have to go with elevator shoes...and unfortunately the aesthetics of those kind of shoes are kinda....ugh. However, I do have a pair of elevator boots from my pre-SF days - I think they're 2.5" and they appear perfectly fine from the side as the lift happens with the leather enclosing the leather.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn

I think the real question is why? Is there a reason why you think you would look/feel better at 6' than at 5'11"?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you to enter some kind of commando or elite forces? 5'11 is not bad at all...
I'm 1m78 or 5'10 something and I'm average..
You can get higher heels but they look hideous at best...
Sorry to ask you a personal question but why are you so desesperate to get an extra inch (no innuendo please)?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Are you to enter some kind of commando or elite forces? 5'11 is not bad at all...
I'm 1m78 or 5'10 something and I'm average..
You can get higher heels but they look hideous at best...
Sorry to ask you a personal question but why are you so desesperate to get an extra inch (no innuendo please)?

Maybe he lives in Holland, overthere 5'11" = midget. I felt very short (moreso than usual) with my 5'7" stature.

kannoos

Reaction score
Well, the OP's name is Svenn, so he's probably Scandinavian and 5'11" might be below average height there.

superfans124

Reaction score
piu, if it is all possible, I'll gladly give you 3'' off of my height, I'm 6'2 and I'm a GIANT in asia, I JUST WANT TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Superfans124, believe me you're better being too tall than too small...
A series of studies have confirmed that people see taller people as more successful and professionally trustworthy than smaller ones...
It is particularly the case for women who tend not only to confirm these trends but also are physically attracted to taller men..

hotstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Superfans124, believe me you're better being too tall than too small...
A series of studies have confirmed that people see taller people as more successful and professionally trustworthy than smaller ones...
It is particularly the case for women who tend not only to confirm these trends but also are physically attracted to taller men..

our are one elevator shoes factory in China, and also we have retail those shoes .Those elevator is normal shoes looking, and best is the confortable, when you wear our shoes you will find the correct one, and did not change your stride, so you do not worried about that . Any body who want to buy elevator shoes , you can contact me directly, i will do my best to help you .my phone :86-15013004226, and mail /msn :heightincreasingshoes@hotmail. and if you have any questionss or help , please feel free to contact me .

One side i forget like "TOTO" "walktall" "Jago", "Buggrri shoes" "high boss " all made in our factory . so sorry forget tell you , i called candy

hotstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Maybe he lives in Holland, overthere 5'11" = midget. I felt very short (moreso than usual) with my 5'7" stature.

Dear sir, i think in Holland, there people also needed the elevator shoes, if needed, you can ask for me ,i can help you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads