• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cocktail Thread

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I like how the syrup that comes with the cherries pools a bit at the bottom of the drink.

It's like the drink's dessert.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to PDT last night and had a Martinez, a Prince of Wales, and a taste of my wife's Apricot Flip. I think the flip was the winner, but the Martinez was pretty good. What I did not like was the waitress, who was pretty obnoxious and flat out rude to my guest when he asked for a small substitution in his drink. Still a very good bar. I wish it was cheaper.
confused.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is my understanding that all the top Manhattan cocktail bars charge $12 a drink, which seems pretty fair to me considering the quality you're getting.

And you should always sit at the bar if possible, though I understand that's not always the case if you have a large party.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a cocktail amateur but I just wanted to post what I think is the best cocktail I ever tasted. You guys can tell me if I'm crazy or have no taste. It was a Maidstone, and it was at the Maidstone Club. That thing was just the most perfect summer drink ever. Better than a perfect mint julep

Anyone ever had or made a Maidstone?

Tyto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm not really a cocktail amateur but I just wanted to post what I think is the best cocktail I ever tasted. You guys can tell me if I'm crazy or have no taste. It was a Maidstone, and it was at the Maidstone Club. That thing was just the most perfect summer drink ever. Better than a perfect mint julep

Anyone ever had or made a Maidstone?

Never heard of it--what's in it?. The only cocktail recipe that came up in the first two page of Google was a "turbo maidstone" made with beer and Smirnov Ice. I'll assume that's not what you had.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

etl

Reaction score
gdl, i had three or four of them on my one stop at the Maidstone. FWIW, The Maidstone club was the inspiration for the movie Caddyshack.

The WSJ wrote up something called the "White Lady" in today's paper... a gin/cointreau and lemon juice concoction. Has anyone here tried it yet?

Also, it's been my experience that the good New York establishments charge between $12 to $15 for an excellent cocktail. Bemelman's being $15 no matter what you order it seems.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of the Maidstone, but sounds worthy of a try. LK, I know The Last Word, sounds your style with the Maraschino. Larsen, I've had a most excellent White Lady in my time -- a nice gentle drink.

I pay ~$14 for excellent cocktails even outside of NYC, though my last in Bemelman's was $15 -- a sidecar. It was ok.

Checks, thanks for the cherry source tip -- drove out to Williams-Sonoma yesterday and bought a crock. The checkout lady asked where I find them; apparently someone called and inquired, but the staff didn't know what they were or where they were.

~ Huntsman

etl

Reaction score
Bemelman's is down the block from the gallery i used to work at, so it was a frequent haunt. If Tommy's working the bar, ask for a perfect Manhattan with a twist - which is a far better version than solely sweet vermouth and cherry.

Not that anyone's asking, but my favorite "new" spot is Passerby on 15th between 9th and 10th (though i understand they've been there for 8 years.) Useful to have a good bar in the Meatpacking Dist as they're mostly date **** hellholes. Passerby is a tiny, nearly invisible sort of "dive" run as a side project to Gavin Brown's gallery. It's only going to be around for another six months or so. There's a kid named Brian that works the bar and is pretty good at mixing. They have a ton of fresh fruit and an old hand juicer mounted to the bar. Wonderful Italian Greyhounds to be had.

Thanks for the feedback Huntsman. I'll certainly add it to the short list.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry to derail the thread but I was curious about everyone's policies on screwed up drink orders? I had this happen twice in the past 2 days. Last night it was a Rusty Nail where the ratios were reversed (3oz Drambuie and 1oz Scotch. Do not try this at home). Tonight, in a different joint, I got a Gimlet with f-in lemon juice in it. Is it poor etiquette to inform the bartender about their mistake, as opposed to just sending the drink back?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A Last Word.
I find this more balanced than the Aviation, and one of my favorite cocktails. The name is an interesting one to use. "She had the Last Word", "I had three Last Words", etc.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
It is my understanding that all the top Manhattan cocktail bars charge $12 a drink, which seems pretty fair to me considering the quality you're getting.

It does seem to be the going rate. For some reason my cocktails at PDT this time seemed quite skimpy.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True story: At my desk, working away for "the man,"I get a call at my desk from Tabitha, a colleague and drinking buddy. She asks me how to make a Sidecar. Now at 1:30 in the afternoon on a workday, a request for a drink recipe seems like an odd request, but hey, it's not for me to say (besides, I used to bartend for may years). I tell her the recipe: 2 oz of Cognac or brandy, 1 oz of Cointreau, Triple Sec, or Grand Marnier, juice of 1/2 lemon (I tend toward a slightly more tart version); in a cocktail glass, with a lemon rind and sugared rim (optional). She then puts someone on the phone, the day bartender at the Front Page, a local watering hole in DC, who apparently doesn't know how to make one or look it up in a cocktail recipe book
angry.gif
. I repeat the recipe, only to find out she doesn't know if she has brandy behind her bar. I throw out a few names, hoping to jog her memory (E&J, Christian Bros.). She seemed to remember seeing something once. . . yeah, at the smaller bar around the corner. Can she use Cognac? I say, "Yeah, Cognac's fine." "Which one?" she asks. I tell her V.S. or V.S.O.P. (grades indicating the age of Cognac, with V.S., very special, being the youngest -- aged less than 4 years). This seems to throw her a moment, then she realizes I'm not talking about names of Cognac and relaxes. And then she gives the phone back to Tabitha, who's laughing her ass off. She was amazed the woman didn't know how to make the drink or where to begin and thought I'd get a kick out of it. I'm sure in the beer and shot world that woman works in a Sidecar is an exotic drink, but she can read a book and every bar has a drink book, believe me. But I'm still wondering what Tab was doing at the bar during lunch -- and without inviting me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

Albazam (from Degroff's book)
2 oz brandy
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz (I think) orange curacao
2 dashes bitters

Excellent. Enjoyed several, thanks.

rambo -- send it back and explain. Funny, the only drink I've had mismade in that mnner was also a Rusty Nail. It was my local bar so I got up and fixed it myself.

~ Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads