• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 1M -- I want!!!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you need some work to do Foo.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Even BMW is saying that the 1M will be the purest car experience they offer (and they've also said the same thing about the 128i previously). Hopefully the car will back it up.

I've had considerable seat time in a 128i as well as an E46 M3 and the 128i was much more fun #justsayin'

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
I've had considerable seat time in a 128i as well as an E46 M3 and the 128i was much more fun #justsayin'

I assume you were simply sitting in it, not driving.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had much more fun in a 128i as well. Mind you, i was getting a ******* at the time...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Porsche? - B
Boxster for GURLZ. Cayman for GAYZ. 911 BEST.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Honestly, I think that gnatty and you have a made up fight. I don't think that he really chose his car because of his badge, and I'm equally sure that if you could easily garage an M3 and have a place to drive it to and fro with a chance to unwind it, you would love it. I say this as an E46 owner, the best M3 ever. - B

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

You no likely the Cayman Clubsport rumored to be announced at the LA autoshow?

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/4...een-light.html

Stuttgart - Porsche has officially given the green light to a new lightweight Cayman model variant due to debut for the 2012 model year. The Cayman CS or "Club Sport" will be shown at the Los Angeles auto show later this year and go on sale in 2011 as a 2012 model. The CS will receive some of the same treatment given to the recent Boxster Spyder such as lighter weight components, fabric door pulls, and a uniquely styled set of lightweight wheels modeled after those on the GT2 RS. Recent press reports indicated that this new variant was shown to Sales Managers in US and Europe at recent internal Porsche meetings and given the positive response from their dealership network Porsche has chosen to move forward with production.

A number of technical items have been circulated internally among the team responsible for this variant and include the following:
333hp 3.4L engine
Sport PASM suspension - 20mm lower than stock ride height
A/C, stereo are optional
162-184lbs lighter than stock Cayman S
Aluminum doors, fabric door pulls
Lightweight hatch, optional lexan window (europe only)
19" unique lightweight wheels
Sport bucket seats
Revalved steering assist
Locking rear differential standard
Uprated brakes (optional)
Restylized front fascia
Cayman Club Sport side graphics
Rear diffuser
Ducktail-style larger rear spoiler (fixed)
Club Sport Insignia badging in interior
Optional "Track Pack", includes partial roll cage, harness and fittings plus fire extinguisher (europe only)
Cited performance numbers - 0-62 in 4.6s
Base Price: $66,330

PASM - Porsche Active Suspension Management
This active damping system offers continuous adjustment of individual damping forces based on current road conditions and driving style.

The driver can choose from two setup modes, "˜Normal' and "˜Sport', using a separate "˜damper' button on the center console. "˜Normal' mode is designed for general road driving and circuits with uneven tarmac. "˜Sport' mode is intended for smoother track surfaces, where the harder settings help eliminate pitch and roll.

In either mode, PASM continuously evaluates the current conditions while automatically selecting the corresponding damper rates from the respective set of mapped values.

A range of sensors are used to monitor the movement of the body under acceleration, braking and cornering maneuvers, as well as on poor road surfaces. The PASM control unit then evaluates this data and modifies the damping force on each individual wheel in accordance with the selected mode. The result is a significant reduction in body movement as well as a better grip on the road.

For example: if "˜Sport' mode is selected, the suspension is automatically set to a harder damper rating. If the quality of the track surface falls below a certain threshold, the system immediately changes to a softer rating within the "˜Sport' setup range. When the quality of the tarmac improves once more, PASM automatically returns to the original, harder rating.

Need more information about PASM? Click this link: FAQ for PASM

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that gnatty and you have a made up fight. I don't think that he really chose his car because of his badge, and I'm equally sure that if you could easily garage an M3 and have a place to drive it to and fro with a chance to unwind it, you would love it. I say this as an E46 owner, the best M3 ever.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the 1M over the M3 regardless of the price--throw a mint, unmodded E46 into the mix, and that would make things interesting. Of course, the 1M may not turn out to be as I or others expect, but if it lives up to its numbers and claimed purpose, I wouldn't even glance at the E9x. Maybe you're right that gnatty didn't just buy his car for the badge, though that would make it even odder that he'd come out and say so. However, I think his reasoning in this thread makes it abundantly clear he's simply struggling to validate his car after realizing BMW might, in fact, make a cheaper car go faster and handle better than his. Recall that he originally dismissed the 1-series because it is merely BMW's entry-level sport coupe and assumed it was materially, technically inferior to the 3. As someone who seems to love cars, surely you can understand why that annoys. Imagine if we were in MC and some poster showed up arguing that everyone's bespoke could never be as great as his MTM Brioni because it's Brioni, and it would simply be laughable to believe anything a little cheaper could be nearly as nice.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
You no likely the Cayman Clubsport rumored to be announced at the LA autoshow?

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/4...een-light.html

You probably know I was being facetious, but to clarify: I could easily pick a Cayman S over a 911, even if they cost the same. If I picked a 911, it would be in full awareness that I'm buying the looks and heritage over fundamental driving dynamics.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would BMW release M1 fully aware that it undercuts M3 not merely in terms of cost but performance as well ?
How will it justify commanding a $20K premium for M3 then ?
Another argument I don't grasp is that Joe Bob bought a given make and model purely on the basis of the latter's badge.
What other rivals in the segment can compete with M3 that Joe Bob deliberately overlooked ?
MB C63 is a a freaking shoebox. The only time I can fit into those buckets is when I'm wearing a polo and a pair of shorts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Why would BMW release M1 fully aware that it undercuts M3 not merely in terms of cost but performance as well ?
How will it justify commanding a $20K premium for M3 then ?
Another argument I don't grasp is that Joe Bob bought a given make and model purely on the basis of the latter's badge.
What other rivals in the segment can compete with M3 that Joe Bob deliberately overlooked ?
MB C63 is a a freaking shoebox. The only time I can fit into those buckets is when I'm wearing a polo and a pair of shorts.

The M5 costs more than the M3, but isn't as fast or handle as well. Does that make no sense, either? The 1M will not be as spacious, will not have a purebred M engine, and will probably not ride as smoothly as the M3.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the definition of "fast" ?
0-30 or 0-60 or 0-100 or max speed ?
You don't suppose a V10-equipped M5 will run away from a M1 ?
But yes, lighter cars tend to be more nimble than their heavier counterparts.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porsche?

They do it right. For the most recent 24 hour Nurburgring race, a team drove a bone stock GT3 RS from the factory to the race, put on some racing pads and tires, finished in 13th from a start at 42nd, and then drove the car back to Stuttgart. They raced against factory-backed teams with purpose-built race cars that can't be driven on the street.

http://germancarscene.com/2010/05/24...en-back-again/

--Andre

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
What's the definition of "fast" ?
0-30 or 0-60 or 0-100 or max speed ?
You don't suppose a V10-equipped M5 will run away from a M1 ?
But yes, lighter cars tend to be more nimble than their heavier counterparts.

You mean 1M. Considering the M3 is quite a bit faster than the M5, I assume the 1M will be as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads