• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Please note: photograps will be cropped to protect the guilty.

How good the protection is, well...that's going to be touch and go.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest for the week ending 02/27/09.

DSC00531.jpg

hfgj.jpg

samstag3.jpg

2190902.jpg

dsc.jpg

DSC_0570-6.jpg

L1020700.jpg

002wjh.jpg

2s1pxdf.jpg

c9.jpg

P1020760.jpg

full_air9x.jpg

waywdon.jpg

3311458336_9cc22a35b2.jpg

p1000033e.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢
Issue 1: February 2009

Welcome to the premier issue of WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢. In this little corner of the Internet, we good naturedly examine some of the wrong turns, dead ends, and over the cliff sartorial trips made on the WAYWRN thread of the Men's Clothing sub-forum of StyleForum. Most WAYWRN photographs crop the head to protect the innocent; here, we crop more to protect the guilty.

When we inaugurate such an important visual documentary series, we need to start out with an iconic image. Fortunately, the month of February brought us one, the ur-image of WAYWRN:

La Toiletta

w82ih1.jpg

The public lavatory, of course, is the primary home of WAYWRN. Whether toilet or stall, sink or mirror, towels or tubes of gray-brown cardboard bereft of tissue, the public lavatory has become "the place" where sharing of sartorial excellence happens. It's where the pulse of WAYWRN quickens. In this shot, we have it all. Yes, employees MUST wash hands. They really MUST. And you can see why...there is just a tiny, tiny bit of human excrement on the wall. Reflected in the mirror, you can see a new device of the Obama Age: the EcoToilet. This new toilet, which looks like the rubbish bins of yore, is delivered empty to the modern public lavatory. At the bottom is one sole Alka-Seltzer tablet. Efficiency drops off rapidly with use, but even as I write, engineering scientists are working on breakthrough solutions...most involving larger number of Alka-Seltzer tablets.

Color has always been a challenge to the WAYWRN male. Nature, particularly menstruation, is oft an inspiration:

Bloody Nice

xn7ytf.jpg

Not tonight, honey...not tonight. Probably not tomorrow night either.

Accessorizing is something which the WAYWRN poster has long mastered:

Batten Down the Hatches

2s15a3s.jpg

Button down collar? Check.
Collar bar? Check.
Tie bar? Check.
Pocket square? Check.
Corset? Check.
Handcuffs? Check.
Zip ties? Check.
Accessory drawer? Empty.

Oh, WAYWRN is a jolly place. Hijinks galore. Let's see one, shall we?

The Penis

2r2of1u.jpg

Yes, of course he is grabbing his monkey as a joke. We get it. And we applaud it. But, what makes this image come alive is not the grabbing, but the extraordinary erection. I mean, it's pretty substantial...not binge level, sure...but this fellow is very happy to post. Very happy.

The Man in the Cardboard Box

"Watcha lookin' at????"

28m2ro.jpg

"Are you lookin' at my waxed eyebrows? Until you feel the pain of the wax, you will never know the depths of the soul. Keep lookin'...while you are transfixed, my eyes are boring into your liver."

This is, in truth, the only image that I did not crop. There was a large box in an alley with a rectangular cutout in it, and what you see above was what was peeking out. I got the photo, but I kept walking. No..I admit it...I ran.

It's In the Details

It goes without saying that showing a bit of cuff marks the man from the boy, and the WAYWRN poster from mere mortals who simply wear clothes (those dingbats.) What are some guidelines about showing cuff?

2eb98wx.jpg

Here, we see everything just coming together. Even more impressive is that the torso of one man has been grafted onto the legs of another...but at a 30 degree offset angle. Splendid.

You Have Been Out-Trad-ed...by ME!

There's collegiate, or preppy, style. There's trad. But then, beyond all those, there is Edwardian Trad:

w06jk9.jpg

You can try, but you simply cannot thrift this look. You have it...or you don't.

Damn The Rulez

And now, we interrupt WLGW for a special feature inspired by that totemic blog, Teh Sartorialist. Let me introduce Teh Bilateralist. In Teh Bilateralist, we take one side of one WAYWRN post and juxtapose it to the other side of another WAYWRN post without bothering to resize.

fwn140.jpg
2a4o0eu.jpg

Congratulations: it's a boy! Pure Apparel Arts.

The Terrarium

Sadly, we now come to the end of this month's WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢. Get out your magnifying glasses, pull up a chair, and spend the most illuminating hour of your life trying to grasp the scope of the Slice of Doom. In the Slice of Doom, we take a narrow, horizontal view of a vertical photograph.

23v1hcm.jpg

The owl ever watches. The dog meows. The baby laughs. The ship sails.

Until next month, I bid you adieu.

- B

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to change my vote for you in the other thread because your writing makes no sense.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who could that be, grabbing their crotch?

laugh.gif

Glad I could be included in this thread, finally.

rolleyes.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
teh last pic will replace the whale in my nightmares.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tha furry creature in a fur coat is not of this world. Incredible, almost surreal.

LabelKing needs an environment upgrade; Paris is calling.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
When we inaugurate such an important visual documentary series, we need to start out with an iconic image. Fortunately, the month of February brought us one, the ur-image of WAYWRN:

La Toiletta

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wonderful fun vox - MUCH appreciated and a great way to wind down on a Friday afternoon.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong is incredible. Thanks for writing it!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bill, are you just really bored at work?

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Tha furry creature in a fur coat is not of this world. Incredible, almost surreal.

LabelKing needs an environment upgrade; Paris is calling.

Best thing about it is, people wouldn't notice if I forgot to put on a shirt in the morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads