or Connect

Posts by superfilmbuff

My dad used to call them dinosaur skin. The venerable companion of every postman, “neither rain or gloom or snow...”, has faded into the history as a Ford 100 pickup. A leather mail carrier’s bag, a real one, is a rare find. The surviving few, indeed, appear to have been through rain and gloom and snow, hundreds of times. In other words, all in tatters. But what gorgeous tatters! I personally have seen two Japanese dealers getting into a fist fight at the Rosebowl market...
Swaine Adeney Brigg Winston Vs. Whaler No.8 Custom Briefcase My Swaine Adeney Brigg is a very early piece, circa 1980s, when the company was still going by their old name, Swaine Adeney. What a piece of work!! A design remained virtually unchanged through the past decades, instantly recognizable, from any distance.

When I got it, it was kept inside its original package. Fresh out of the box, the SAB gives a distinctive, overwhelming smell of leather, which is rather...
I have used nothing but saddle soap on mine. Don't seem to do nothing much, but no down-side neither.
I personally hate Tumis, having gone through about 3 of them. The average life span is about 1-2 years. The chief concern is that they don't age well at all. Tumi use this kind clothing leather normally found on a jacket, and that's where it should stay. A Tumi will start to show wear along the edge and corners in weeks. Rough dusty gray on black (usually). And the nylon lining starts to go with just the slightest tear, kind of like on nylon stockings. Then it is game...
Looking around for a beat-up filson. It usually comes in worn and tattered. None better
I agree. The canvas is unique to filson. They have a life span of about 10-15 years. After that, it is a matter of how tattered you wish your bag to get. Another annoying feature about filson, I don't know if others have noticed, is the zipper linings to go bust only after a few years. The brass eats through the lining and that's it. It usually takes a lot of work to repair if you do not wish to lose the bag. And a brand new shining zipper is not what you usually want on...
All I have been using is saddle soap on my SAB. To great results. Saddle soap is a very mild cleaning agent which would not darken the leather. The drawback is that it needs to be applied about once a month. Not permanent.
Mine is from Whaler & Co. These guys hand make their leather. A number of features are optional. Mine is completely hand-stitched.
Swaine Adeney Brigg Winston Vs. Whaler No.8 Custom Briefcase My Swaine Adeney Brigg is a very early piece, circa 1980s, when the company was still going by their old name, Swaine Adeney. What a piece of work!! A design remained virtually unchanged through the past decades, instantly recognizable, from any distance.

When I got it, it was kept inside its original package. Fresh out of the box, the SAB gives a distinctive, overwhelming smell of leather, which is rather...
It's such a shame narragansett would not produce any more briefcases. I have placed an order in '11 and my deposit was returned with a nice email about the retirement of the craftsman.