or Connect

Posts by Robert Evans

Quote: Originally Posted by nomed If a product has a shelf life it'll have small symbol somewhere on the container or packaging. The symbol looks like a jar with the lid off and numbers followed buy the letter "M." 24M for example. Just check this out: http://www.dermaviduals.com/english/...-unstable.html Thanks for responding, but what if there isn't such a symbol?
There is a putty hair styling product that I love, but unfortunately it is being discontinued and stores are selling it for next to nothing. So I could buy a ton of this stuff that would last me a year or maybe two, but what is the general shelf life of these (putty's, paste's, creme's, wax's, etc.) hair styling products? Do they break down in quality at some point or are they still good 4 years later?
Quote: Originally Posted by Teacher It's funny how you just automatically characterize the HR person as a "jackass." It's nice that you don't jump to conclusions about people. Stick it to the man! Selling someone out is not the same as not feeling comfortable giving a reference. In fact, the term sell out, as used here, often implies subterfuge, which is precisely what I'm advocating against. I say jackass, because you shouldn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by CouttsClient I give glowing endorsements to all of my friends regardless of what I think about them personally. I want them to succeed professionally and if they screw up on the job then it's on them but I won't stand in their way. Thankfully I have great friends. Exactly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Teacher Were I in this position, this is how I'd deal with it. But if this friend would make such a bad employee, why did you agree to be a reference in the first place? It seems you've just put yourself into a very uncomfortable position. You sound fairly desperate for friends. I suppose that some of us just simply think differently than you do. For some of us, being honest is a higher moral prerogative than getting a...
Quote: Originally Posted by harvey_birdman A friend who asks you to lie for him, especially in a professional capacity, is not a friend. EDIT - I may have a skewed outlook on this, as I am not in "corporate" America, but rather work in a medium-sized legal bar where everyone is only two or three steps removed from everyone else. I have often been asked to give a reference, as a co-worker or as a peer, for another attorney. I am fortunate that I've been...
Quote: Originally Posted by tj100 True, but you'd have to recognize that by doing this, you're screwing the next person who wants to transition from company A to company B. Company B will just come to believe that Company A has very low standards, and none of their employees can hang in a tougher environment. Who the fuck cares what Company B thinks - he's your friend and that is the priority. I have never in my life heard someone getting...
Quote: Originally Posted by DerekS rule number one...never rat on your friends. Personally, youre a total dick if ya send in a bad reference for a friend. either dont send it or lie. If you send a bad reference for a friend, he deserves to know. Absolutely - your friends comes first. Who the fuck cares what the HR person thinks of you if you lie for your friend. I am actually surprised that people are debating this here. If you are not...
Quote: Originally Posted by NH_Clark Actually, this is completely right. In the high tech space (not saying this particular example is) it is a small world. Not that someone would "come after you" for a bad reference but memories are long and I'd definitely remember someone who gave me a "this guy walks on water" reference and the employee turns out to be the worst ever. And again: Not to mention the fact that quite often an employee is...