or Connect

Posts by TimelesStyle

Not great shoes, though not bad at $212 if they fit and are comfortable. Those would be the equivalent of Black Label (which they don't really use for shoes) and part of the line that retails for like $5-800. The quality will be a step-and-a-half below the Purple Label Italian shoes (which themselves are a step below the English ones). I've bought from that line before (I have three pairs of suede drivers) and think they're fine when had under $150-200.So, in a nutshell,...
Quality, unfortunately, all depends on who made the shoes. They pretty much all retail from $1,000-1,400 (other than boots or exotic skins) but there are at leas three or four different makers and their qualities differ. For example, even though they may often be the same price, the English shoes are way better than the Italian, and even within the realm of the English-made variants, there are several makers, of which EG is the best.
Good catch. My guess is that they are neither counterfeit, nor exactly what they are purported to be. I've never seen an RL shoe (or other product, for that matter) that had both the "Ralph Lauren" script and "Polo" stamped on them. Those two things represent different brands. My guess is that those are not the original insoles and someone (whether on purpose or without thinking) put a pair of EG insoles into a pair of Polo shoes. The fact that the branding inside the shoe...
That's a good point about selling a lifestyle. Perhaps BL was a brand intended to attract a younger, but still discriminating, buyer to RL, who would "grow up" and move on to PL. But if that never happened, the logical fix would be to try and bring that buyer into PL earlier, and simply try and move him to higher echelons as he aged. More similar to Brooks Brothers, I'd argue.Your mention of QA/QC and Gucci/Armani also brings up another point: having extremely high QA/QC...
I'd heard (I believe in one of the SF RL threads) that when PL was made by Caruso it was made in a special section of the factory dedicated to the line. That would suggest that any similarities were coincidental, which makes sense since the RL pieces are not just rebranded Caruso suits; the silhouettes are quite different.
The PL were probably largely handmade while the BL mostly done by machine (if I had to guess). That may be harder to distinguish if you're not used to looking for it (I certainly couldn't!).Bingo! I think this gets back to the point I made earlier: even though BL stuff was arguably all intended for a customer with a particular style and budget, the difference in quality between tailored clothing and sportswear was significant. There was either a desire to minimize the fact...
Yes, it will be a problem if you need to size up to accommodate your shoulders. But I have chest and back that's a little disproportionately thick compared to my shoulders. The strong shoulder helps with that.
While they aren't my taste I totally get and appreciate that. What I don't get is something like an AMG G Class. At least with an S 65 you could actually unleash it's full potential but that G would probably tip if tested to the limits.
Well it's been out of production for decades and somewhat predates the SUV frenzy. If including that then the original Hummer probably should have been included too (as its origin, purpose and evolution largely mirror that of the G Class).
But the proportions are only "comically large" because he has an 11 inch drop. Those physical proportions are impressive, not comical.The suits are also great at creating that "V silhouette" for those with a significant drop but not particularly large shoulders.Personally, I find them to be the best fitting OTR suits out there for me. Only alterations needed are a slight shortening of the sleeve and letting out of the trousers (which are cut for men who skip "leg day").