or Connect

Posts by TimelesStyle

Assuming you want to buy OTR, instead of going MTM, then I'd suggest looking at the following brands, as they'll be at various points in your price range and better quality/more timeless than the Burberry originally linked: Zegna (may be above $3k for tux now; check their outlets) Canali (may be too wide a lapel for OP's taste) Ralph Lauren Black Label (all three lapel styles available, am similar build to OP and it fits me well) Caruso (also manufactures RLBL) Brooks...
Hublot? You blow. Just kidding In all seriousness, never been a huge fan of the brand, but can't find fault with the Portofino. Or if the OP ever tires of the Tudor, then there's always the Aquatimer (though I much preferred the previous generation, and think it would probably have been more the OP's style).
The jackets are mostly unlined, which I don't really like for a suit, so haven't ever seriously considered one. For that reason, haven't bothered to try them on either.
Here's a beautiful sterling formal set that is mostly onyx: http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/barneys-new-york-onyx-cufflink-%26-stud-set-502848420.html#start=8
That's a good point about continuity. I like something with MOP but my reasoning has to do with having a midnight tux. Another option that I saw on the barney's warehouse site were plain sterling. Could be interesting (some contrast but not as much as onyx) and they're almost 70% off; about $200 for two links and four studs. Good deal in my opinion.
So my birthday was a few weeks ago and my wonderful wife bought me a beautiful new set of links/studs. Perhaps a little more involved than some here would prefer, but I love them! They're sterling with eggshell enamel and MOP center. I prefer non-black since my tux and all facings and accessories (other than shoes) are midnight.
Cufflinks.com should have them. Otherwise, it's always wise to check Barney's Warehouse Sale site.
Don't think I'd go with any colors on the pocket square. As to the links/studs, are they actual sterling, or a white base metal? If the former, stick with what you've got, if the latter then gold plated is just fine and six of one/half-dozen of the other. But I wouldn't worry too much about matching on any level.
I would consider brands that sell separates, too, as you can get jacket and trouser sizes individually. Personally, I can't stand the Thom Brown look in general, as it looks like a bunch of guys wearing their younger brothers' suits, but that's just me. If you want to be very "current" (without resorting to things that will look incredibly dated in a couple of years) then I would consider midnight/navy. Very "in" right now, but will always remain a classic. Shawl lapel...
Not to be a dick, but no such thing exists. Besides, when all is said and done it'll be $150-200 so if he wears it twice that's a $400 tux he could have had. Jos. A Bank should have another sale some time soon that'll put a basic tux within reach, or else there's this option, which I contemplated when considering the "go cheap since I won't wear it often"...