or Connect

Posts by TimelesStyle

The one film where I'd disagree, particularly regarding formalwear, was "The Untouchables". They had Armani do the wardrobing for that one, and the few scenes with guys in formalwear showed both the multiple variations in acceptable black tie as well as the distinction between black and white tie dress and events.I would imagine they tell you to size up because you'll have an extra layer in between (band collar on the shirt) and perhaps this isn't accounted for in...
Looks like a white tie shirt, too; if you look closely you can see that it has single cuffs. However back then I think there was far less difference between black and white tie shirts, since pretty much all high-end dress shirts, even those intended for daytime/business wear, had detachable collars.Of course, I would imagine the further back you go the more likely you were to find men who owned both black and white tie rigs, wore them with some regularity, and would swap...
For reference, it's this thread; posts 43, 44 and 63:http://www.styleforum.net/t/22452/midnight-blue-dinner-jacket-what-color-bow-tie/30
Honestly, and no offense to the OP, but the outfit/haircut combo days "I am the loyal man servant to a crazy old southern lady who lives on a disused plantation and sleeps in bed every night with her husband... Who's been dead for six years". This is the guy who brings the husband his morning paper and coffee.
To be honest, if I had a daughter, I'd hide her from anyone dressed that way...
Pun intended?! LOL.As to your real question, about alternatives, I've heard that eHaberdasher's Benjamin line tuxes are pretty slim and are around the same price. Martin Greenfield for Gilt will cost more, about $400 more IIRC, but they make a "slim" version (and the regular already looks plenty slim) and it'll be a very nice suit.And finally there's J. Crew, where at least you can order separates (though they are probably between SS and MG on price). If you do that,...
Depends on the definition of "similarly". You don't want one to show up in a black suit, white shirt and silver wedding tie and the other in a tan suit, striped shirt and knit tie. So there should be some guidelines, but other than that it's fine (even good) if they all look a bit different. Perhaps specify things like:-Color family for suit (some shade of navy, some shade of grey, etc.)-Shirt color-Shoe color-Tie color family (unless you're buying them ties)
Thought I'd share one from my own wedding this past spring. Ignore the fact that the tie is off center and the buckle in the vest; I'm turned slightly towards the bride in the pic. ETA: for context, it was an evening wedding in downtown Chicago
I'd been reading through some old BT threads on this forum and came across an interesting one on the whole mixing midnight and black issue, but rather than necro-posting, I figured I'd bring it up here: There was an idea that when mixing the color of the facings and accessories (i.e. midnight facings, black accessories) that one should also mix the textures/materials. So, for example, if one's DJ has midnight satin facings, it would be better to do a black grosgrain...
Gorgeous, wear it in good health.And don't worry about the bow; short of my dad (who wore bow ties every day for 25 years) I've never met anyone truly skilled at tying one, which becomes part of the charm of a "real" bow tie.