or Connect

Posts by fftfft

My parents struggled for most of my early years, and then became very successful around the time that I was halfway through high school. As a result, they covered my college tuition, instead of myself paying for it using the bonds they had purchased in my name at the time of my birth. The cash that landed in my lap was substantial, but I always kept in mind that it represented my parents prudent planning and hard work and thus never spent a dime of it. On the other...
I moved in to a very small apartment for graduate school 2 years ago and did not (more like couldn't afford) a new TV. I bought an eyetv hybrid (USB ATSC tuner) for my desktop computer which allows me to watch over the air HD signals. I pretty much just use it a few times a year for major sporting events. I acquire the few shows I do watch via other means.
Good cook and terrible baker
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Currently smoking a pork butt in my Big Green Egg .
I consider myself average/above average. What I do always makes people assume some degree of intelligence, but in reality it is just a matter of perseverance/patience and basic logical thinking.
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a friend in college take his own life. Both us (his friends) and his family looked very hard for a "why" or any signs that were missed. He was by all accounts a happy and outgoing person. He left no notes or communication to anyone, nor did he have any obvious motive to do so. However, going through is personal effects we discovered he had been planning it for some time, since he had bought several items that could only serve one...
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntsman I lost my mother at seventeen after she'd had cancer for four years (after an 11 year remission), and it sucks. Definitely do not hold it in. I still cry for her sometimes. But the truth is that time doesn't make it any easier, it just makes the bad times much further apart. And the other truth is that you wouldn't want to ever be sanguine about the loss of one you love -- your pain is a reflection of that love, and...
7x750ml 2005 Chateau Caronne Ste Gemme (Haut-Medoc) ($13.99 @ costco) 1x750ml 1993 Beaulieu Private Reserve Napa Cab (39.99 @ K&L)
Tough subject... I lost my mother in late March to cancer and I'm in my mid-20s. Cliches in this setting exist for a reason...some because they are all that people can think of to tell you when mourning and others because they are good advice. My father and I both try to focus on what she would want us to do... Don't hesitate to get help/talk to people. The hardest part of all of this for me has been more about how she suffered and died "prematurely", and it takes a...
Quote: Originally Posted by MilanoStyle Waterloo Comp Sci Nice department...