or Connect

Posts by browniecj

Or,which was more regular,you mislaid your Ticket and had to wait until the end-only to find your Coat had gone.
That is true Kingstonian,but sometimes the Girl would leave the Cloakroom unattended(go to the Ladies),this happened in Streatham or a member of Staff was working"in league".This one happened at the Hammersmith Palais.As I said,I was ok.This happened more in `68/`69 than later-when the cheaper versions came out.Nobody wanted the "copies"....
The interesting bit I find,is the length of Trousers(of the Suits).That was about the Length I had mine done(especially the one with the "Gucci Style" Shoes).Never wore mine shorter-only the Cotton Trousers or the "Greens".I do not know where the "Revivalists" get their notion from,that Suit Trousers were really short.Maybe when the "Off The Peg" Suits started to appear.Watford,Streatham,Hammersmith,Purley all had Cloakrooms,but they also had a thriving "Tea Leaf"...
Leather and Suede Bombers were available about `68/`69.I had a Light Brown Suede one and a Black Leather one.By mid `69 Harringtons were everywhere,so other Jackets came into vogue.With the Tunes being remembered.These would be heard in the "Plaza" on a Sunday Night.There was another Club we used to go to where early Funk was being spun- James Brown"Say It Loud....",Charles Watts and the Watts 103rd Street Rythmn Band"Express Yourself".It started me off with later...
Sorry Bassett if I sound confusing.It is just that when I remember a certain Article of Clothing or maybe something else,the Memories just pile in.I have been lucky in that,for a few years,I have been able to buy what I fancied and being in contact with various Influences(Mod,Skinhead,after the various Styles in the 70s-Northern Soul)I tried not to dress outragiously-a pair of Spencers contradicts that one....Now it has gone backwards a bit and I for one am loving it.
Yes,the Jackets were coming in.I remember my first "Off The Peg" Suit had the wide(nearly covering your Shoulders)Jacket and not too Flared Trousers.This led to a D/B Jacket(Black)that I wore with Light Grey Trousers.I did not buy a Suit again for many years.It was about `72/`73 I started wearing a silver Saxophone in the Lapel of my Jacket.Always liked that Musical Instrument(wished I had learnt to play one).This went onto the "Horn Of Plenty"on a Chain-later in the...
At the time,the piss-take could be relentless.What made it satisfying was seeing someone else taking up the "Look".I was never a Fashion Leader,but,I did take a chance on a Patterned Shirt and suffered the consequences.I can still remember the remarks now!!!
Welcome back Little Queenie.Missed you.It is a funny thing.When I was a Mod,I did not mind Double Breasted.When it went through to Skinhead,I would not be seen dead in a D/B Jacket or Coat.As the early 70s came,I bought a D/B Jacket and that was it-back in.
Oh! Gawd:facepalm: