or Connect

Posts by browniecj

If I can reply to this, cerneabbas,the short answer was -no! During `69/`70 "Royals" was it(all three designs-Brogues,Smooths and Gibsons).You turned up in anything else and the p*ss would be taken big time.This changed when Solatio Gibsons came in,this opened up the "Look" quite a bit.Toe Shapes went wider.Then the Loafers appeared so the "Royals" lost the market a bit.Cheaper Shoes were always frowned upon anyway,they had to be a certain price really.Snobbery played a...
By then it was all Tourists-and Yellow Lines !!
Yes it will,I have been there before-no "shrinking violets" at the Ad-Lib.
This Saturday coming(April,12th)I am hoping to re-create the atmosphere of some of the early Clubs-The Flamingo,The Roaring Twenties,The Ram Jam etc.,in a small Cellar Club(in Lincoln).I will be playing Jamaican Ska,Shufflebeat and Rythmn and Blues.I will have my work cut-out as there are others going,who have a better Pedigree than me-in the early Mod days.In fact there is a couple who will be playing some of the old Rythmn and Blues by Cyril Davis,Georgie Fame,Long John...
Looks different from his "Mod Generation" Photo....:)Is Peter contributing to the Book,M-o-M?
That has jogged my Memory Lasttye.I had totally forgotten those.
I have written before,the two Styles merged about late `68,between the West London(Ivy Shop)Look and the more paired down,no frills Look of East London.
I think you will find it is a more "Kings Road" type of Disco,Clouseau.A more older crowd.
Going by myself I used to pay £15/18 for a plain colour,2 Piece Mohair Mix Suit(in `69).These I would wear to work,after having them a while.I worked in a Shoe Shop.The same Suit would cost you £600/800 plus today.My 3 Ply Mohair Suits,2 Piece, would be £25.In todays terms I would say over £1,500 if not more.They were all MTM and I would pay off 10/-(Ten Shillings)a week.There were more Tailor Shops about,and when one Suit was nearly paid for,I would receive a letter...
That was a Jacket,never really liked the Dogtooth Suit- well then anyway.