or Connect

Posts by browniecj

Another Track,not listed,but was played during the mid 60s Roosevelt Grier - Slow Drag.
The Pop Records were played mainly in Clubs along the Kings Road or places like Members Clubs right in the heart of the West End - where you could not get in if you did not have an E-Type.I used to go(Lunchtimes) to the Bluesette Club,owned by John`s Children and they would play Pop.It was here that I heard "Good Vibrations" etc.Two of my Faves - Clarence Carter - Looking For A Fox and The Mar keys - Last Night.Used to love walking into a Club,with them playing.
It was much later than that.There are a lot of us about still.......
There was a Flip Store in Curtain Road,where you could some buy amazing Clobber cheap.There was a "Swing" Fashion Scene going on - see videos of early Goldmine, Canvey Island.
Welcome to the Forum MartinP,good start.If I remember correctly,just down the Road from where you were standing,there was a West Indian Club.Went there a couple of times to see Mates Dj - quite a few years later than the Photo.
A Footnote to the "Flamingo" Story.There was a Stabbing in the Club so the American Commanders put a ban on all American Service Personnel from going there.I knew it was something like that but could not quite remember why.This eventually became widespread throughout the West End.
The Clubs would open about 10ish and there would be a Queue to get in.
I used to go Lakenham ,to do business with the Chef on the Base.Once you were inside the Gates it was a slice of America.Mind you,the Armed Guard on the Gate was nervous so that made me a bit as well !!
By the time I started going to the Flamingo,Georgie Fame was a No.1 Artist.In `66 the music was going more to Records and the Clientele was changing.In the 50s and early 60s you had the American Servicemen but when I started going there it was more and more Jamaican, as with a lot of Clubs "Up West".Mods would have mostly certainly rubbed Shoulders with the Americans in the early years - and some of the dress sense would have certainly rubbed off.Records were bought down...