or Connect

Posts by browniecj

But that is a fallacy that Djs from London and the Home Counties never made it the North.They did.There was a very strong Jazz/Funk Scene in the Northern Cities.I have a Book called "The Family" that shows Photos of All-Dayers in the North(they also had these around the Country).The Djs were called The Soul Mafia and in the 70s they were commanding nearly £300 for a Session(and getting it).There would be Coach loads of "Tribes" going from the South and likewise in...
I love these Sketches,are there any Books may have them in?
Yes,well put M-o-M.
The problem is M-o-M,you certain Djs that build themselves up(very large Egos).In the Programme you had Levine going on about how he used to go to America and check out the New York Discos etc - for the music at the Highland Room.He was treading a well worn path to New York.I was never a Fan of Hi NRG but there were plenty of Gay Club Djs here that had the Music.Levine was a regular visitor to Contempo Records in London - not quite as exotic as the States eh?Looking at...
There is a Sequel to "Sawdust Caesers" coming out.
I was asked by Tom Beesley to write a Piece about the Soul/Jazz/Funk Scene-that started in the Clubs around `69."Express Yourself",James Brown etc.,etc.I had written to him and had a bit of a go because he included Glam Rock and Northern Soul but dismissed the other Scene. as Disco. The older ones were picking up on the new Funk Records and Clubs were starting up(dedicated to that Style of Music).The Dancehalls were now being shunned as being too young.The Mod Ethos was...
I can remember first seeing a Navy Bomber Jacket - with Blue and White Stripes on the Collar and Cuffs,about `63/`64.If I remember correctly they were called Blue Beat Jackets.if you watch RSG-Vol.1,you will see that som e of the Crowd wearing T-Shirts and Shoes which are connected to the "Surf" Scene(even though it was not known as that).Lulu comes on in that Style - when she sang "Shout".So the answer to the Question is No.Pete Meaden was dressing them up as Mod(The...
We found that the French Girls were ok without the Fellas,but when they turned they would go all hoity toity.Did not want to be seen fraternising with the Enemy - I suppose.
When the French Students came over,they wore all different coloured Sweaters - if I remember correctly,the colour Dusky Pink seemed to be well liked.