Posts by coolpapa

Put some Nivea on it.
What did you get? I was there a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I also have those Butteros and they are awesome.
I really like Paraboot and have had a few pairs for going on ten years now. Greg, any chance you'll carry that brand?
I've done that too, sort of. Cooked a shoulder for a couple of days and finished in the oven. Done it with short ribs too. Two days in the sous vide machine, quick sear and eat. You lose something in the braising liquid I find, but it was an interesting experiment. Pork shoulder steaks is another one. They are a mainstay of Louisiana BBQ on Sundays and have this laquered texture, almost like Chinese roast pork. I've cooked those in the sous vide machine for a few...
i have done this with brisket and it was fantastic. I rubbed a brisket with the usual rub, dropped it in the sous vide supreme for about 36 hours, then smoked it on the pit for a few hours. It was juicy, tender, and had great flavor. I liked it so much I felt bad for all the people that spend years perfecting their brisket techniques that can last for days and require a lot more attention.
I don't disagree can be more trouble than other cooking options. I cook steaks lots of ways, and it's handy to know how to do so, but more often than not, I use a Staub oval roasting pan, sear in beef fat on the stove top, flip, baste with butter and thyme, then stick in the oven for about 15 minutes. Sous vide is handy when I need to cook several steaks at the same time. It makes that a lot more manageable.
I used to cook steaks this way all the time. If you have the time, the results are grand. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/119838-the-best-way-to-cook-a-thick-steak/
Seems timely: http://jalopnik.com/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-the-jalopnik-revie-1793422969
I have doubts about their long term viability too. I like the Giulia and if the closest dealer wasn't a half hour away, I would seriously consider one. But all the things you mention just don't make it practical.
It's a legit question and I don't find it offensive. I prefer old world wines to new world and traditional styles to more spoofilated. I also appreciate what seems to be a trend in CA of making wines in a more balanced, lower alcohol, lower oak style, and I want to support that. In fact the CA wines I've bought in volume the last five years have all been of this style: Sandlands, Idlewild, Lieu Dit, et al. I think it's a nice marriage of a different geography with...