or Connect

Posts by speedy4500

Used straps for high-volume snatches at recommendation of coach... bar felt like it was glued to my hands. Feeling great about C&J technique, max is less than 15kg under 1RM front squat and haven't missed a rep in a long time, except for PR attempts -- just need to get stronger now. Snatch consistency is getting better, but still not as good as I want it to be. I can make 99 lifts, but that 1 miss pisses me off for the rest of the day. Also, two straight days of BIG...
Recently people are staring at me when I lift. Have they never seen people snatch or C&J before? Would prefer they keep to the cable machine doing that abs exercise where it looks like they're trying to suck their own dick. Got light-headed when going for 140kg front squat yesterday. Luckily was able to get it on the rack before passing out. Guess it was pinching a blood vessel or something. Kinda scary, but collected myself and got back under it a few minutes later with...
If you can do planche or levers, those are about as hardcore ab work as you can find. Pretty much the only two that I do are dragon flags and roll-outs, which I usually do after lifting sessions. Crunches and sit-ups are pointless, especially doing 100s of them. Abs are like any other muscle... they respond to increased loading, and like any other muscle doing super high volume is silly. If you can do more than 10 reps, you're probably not creating enough stress.
Personally, I prefer the Berezovsky performance of Liszt's Mazeppa-- a piece that in an of itself is a hell of a workout.
You do the rowing? Behind Olympic lifting, hitting the rowing machine is one of my favorite gym activities; those times when I can't O-lift, I imagine rowing is similar since it involves full-body explosive movement. Haven't been on water yet, but want to try it this summer. Never see anyone using the rowing machines, so I always figured that rowing must be effective and difficult-- after all, everyone always tries to take the easy route at the gym.I did 3x 500m sprints...
I made the terrible mistake of cycling 40miles on Monday since it was so nice outside and gym was closed. Then went for 3RM front squat yesterday. Needless to say, snatch session today was abysmal-- couldn't even get 100kg. I feel so worthless.Man, I wish not making PRs every time was the worst in this sport. Do Oly long enough and there will be times when just matching your PR from 2 months ago will seem impossible and you'll dwell at 10-15kg less and wonder why the fuck...
Interesting moments at gym today.... Someone volunteers to spot me on snatch. Had to politely tell him that having spotter for o-lifts is probably more dangerous than not having spotter; he'll either be in the way of the weight, or in the way of me as I'm trying to get away from the weight. Another guy asks me what exercises are good for getting abs. I tell him "heavy squats, deadlifts, and olympic lifts" and he looks so sad. Decide to show him dragon flags so he doesn't...
Yesterday snatched 104kg, then did some speed triples (back squat) at 315-335-355, instructions "Don't think just move." Quads still feeling pumped 24 hours later. Also, coach had me demo every exercise for Oly class the other day... "Put your bars down and watch him do it." Then I watch this and it puts me back in place as a weak amateur....
Interesting article on obesity. I've spoken with Dr Chow in person and he's quite intelligent and fascinating. I am slightly cautious about the ability for math to model health, given the tremendous complexity of the system, but some interesting tidbits show up in this article, particularly a few that have been discussed in this thread...http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/science/a-mathematical-challenge-to-obesity.html
Ego boost: coach has me demo all exercises for Oly class..... "Put your bars down and watch him do it." FTFM.Still, pretty good for those girls lifting a good 30-35kg over BWT, though they could probably get even a few more kilos if they didn't swing the goddam bar so far out front.