or Connect

Posts by kungapa

Quote: Originally Posted by DandySF I bought a pair of suede loafers from their store in the Galerias Pacificos. As soon as I started wearing the shoes (back in the US) they developed a squeak, one that would cost too much to repair. The R&C wallet I purchased to replace a Ferragamo wallet wore out in about a year. At the end of the year the Ferragamo wallet, which I'd set aside, looked far better than the R&C version. I've resumed using the Ferragamo...
Currently traveling in South America, I decided to get some nice leather goods. On the suggestion of forum member Sazerac I went to Rossi y Caruso. I picked up a calf-skin wallet and a pair of double monk shoes, according to the store Goodyear welted. The shoes: $150 or so The wallet: $15 or so I was wondering, has anyone here apart from Sazerac got any experience with this brand, and can speak to the quality. http://www.rossicaruso.com/
In Buenos Aires at the moment. I just picked up a pair of brown double monks from Rossi y Caruso for $150. Goodyear welted. Breaking them in with a night out on the town here. Pics to follow eventually, maybe.
Quote: Originally Posted by Will C. If someone began referring to all traditional leather shoes as 'loafers', it would be exactly the same sort of thing. What is actually happening is that the meaning of the word "oxford" is getting extensively diluted to include most dress shoes - oxfords as well as derbies. Just look at Gilt. This mirrors the lack of distinction in the everyday use of dress shoes - although a select few people might find the...
Quote: Originally Posted by viator Thanks, but I agree with kungapa - I just can't see how it matters. What would the situation where confusion over this term causes inconvenience or harm? Oh, I am not saying that it doesn't matter. I am all for lingual specificity. Maybe I am the defeatist here - I believe that in common use the need for that level of distinction is no longer there outside of certain subcultures (SF being one of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Will C. Fair question. I think the answer is that category (c) in the OP's definitions covers a species of jacket that is still culturally and historically related to the blazer proper. In this case it's not just an evolving term; the evolving term signifies a garment that is itself evolved from the garment originally signified. In contrast, when silly people start calling tweed sportcoats and orphaned suit jackets 'blazers',...
Quote: Originally Posted by allaboutshoes What's G&G? Im first getting used to the SF lingo gaziano & girling
Quote: Originally Posted by Geezer (a) a single-breasted odd jacket of bright colour, usually striped, often with metal buttons, derived from the late 19th Century odd jackets worn by English school, college, or university rowing and other sports clubs, now largely obsolescent outside Henley Regatta; (b) a double-breasted odd jacket of dark navy cloth, with metal - usually brass - buttons, emerging in the late 19th Century as casual wear, and based on...
Quote: There are a lot of leather stores around, 95% of it is cheap crap. There are several higher end options, however. Rossi y Caruso is by far the best in terms of quality of workmanship. It's pricey by Argentine standards, though still far below Hermes or even LV. They have a broad range of merchandise and all of it is well made. Another leather option is Casa Lopez. They use excellent leathers, but the workmanship isn't on the same level as RyC. It's...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter I'll get back to you about BA. don't know rio Thanks! I really appreciate it. I'd be especially interested in good stores and/or Argentina-specific brands and stores, as I would think that is something SF might know better than most places.