Posts by ClambakeSkate

We should all get together and buy every one of his sale items from Yoox and keep it the full trial period and then return it to Yoox. Just to see how he reacts on grailed.
Are both brands made in Japan? I see japanese labels on the bottles in the background of the workshop photo. It's hard to keep track of what japanese brands are made in japan and which ones are made in italy. I'd guess taichi's high prices (compared to other competitors) can also be attributed to being made in Japan. I'm not sure of the pricing within the confines of Japan, but I know attachment outside of japan is WAY more expensive. I believe it's because of certain...
that's not a wedge though.
I think you're giving guidi too much credit. Like they used some sort of sacred geometry to determine the correct balance of a machine washed leather slipper. It's the same shoe, one with a heel, one without.
You guys are bumming me out, so I'll just leave this here...
The constant variable is that skilled makers are dying off (literally) and the ones left can charge whatever they want. Even in China... 10-15 years ago it was super cheap to produce in China, but since then they've realized that they have all the power because they are the only ones willing to do production and have raised prices A LOT in the last 15 years. A good example is Martin Greenfield. What would happen if, one day, Martin Greenfield decided he'd had enough,...
This is the post that I had so much trouble with...And here I am...OK, Sorry, Zara was not the best example and I used it a bit hyperbolically, but still, their model is very strong. When they own the factories, they cut one mark-up of their product out of the pricing equation. That's huge especially when each step of mark-up comes in at around 3X.And I can use smaller companies as examples that operate in this same way, in fact, many of the brands you mentioned fall into...
I'm sorry @LA Guy but your whole post is so flawed and infuriating I don't have the time to dig into at them moment. Maybe tomorrow.
That's not true.The system is the problem. People (designers and consumers) just assume that this is the only way to work. That's not true. The reason that Zara is so sickeningly successful is because they own EVERYTHING. They own their own factories but they also own the shipping companies, the fabric mills, the button suppliers, etc. EVERYTHING. If smaller companies opened their eyes and stopped being sheep and just did things the way that everyone else does and learned...
Plain and simple the big problem (and reason for outrageous pricing) is that most "designers" can't make a goddamn thing themselves. They're only stylists. Not creators.