or Connect

Posts by mcbrown

I never said I was tough, just a jerk. I'm a mean-spirited, wimpy, bitter bully who can dish it out but not take it. Like everyone on the internet.Anyway, please just try to be careful about the generalizations you make. I apologize if my language was too harsh - if you have been lurking here long enough you may have noticed that the ratio of bad advice to quality advice is huge and growing (see the suggestion above that somehow $700 for a half-canvassed suit is...
Sigh. Forum n00b tells someone that SF is populated solely by rich assholes with no regard for the plight of the common man, and I'm the dick for taking offense. For the record, I did point out where you are wrong. And I am a huge jerk in real life, as well. Cheers. Enjoy your time here. Please try not to spread too much misinformation, m'kay?
Where, pray tell, will one find a fully canvassed (since apparently half-canvassed isn't good enough for you) suit for under $700?
I took it to mean (correctly, I think) that the OP is referring to the countless criticisms of the Ludlow's rather ridiculously fashion-forward design. If there are more complaints on SF about the Ludlow's quality than complaints about its look I will eat my Darltons.As for this...... I agree, it is good value! You were suggesting to the OP that SF groupthink will not hold J. Crew out as good value, because it is too low-end:WTF are you talking about? Do you not see the...
This would have been more timely last night, but better late than never:
I don't know what biged is on about. I have never seen anyone here criticize the quality of J. Crew. The Ludlow is widely disliked because of its design - ultra skinny lapels, etc. J. Crew suits and odd jackets are widely regarded as being good value for the money, style issues aside. Take what biged says with a grain of salt. I've learned a lot (*a lot*) since I've started browsing these forums, but people who say SF craps on those who can't or won't spend big money on...
If you went to a French cooking forum asking about duck confit, and it turned out you didn't know how to make an omelette, you'd get the same reaction. You might think the people telling you that you had basic cooking skills to learn were being arrogant, but they would be absolutely correct and only trying to help you. As they are here on SF.Wear whatever you want - they're just clothes. But if you want people on this forum to give you advice, be prepared that they may not...
Yes, this is correct. Speaking as someone with a relatively large calf to thigh ratio, the only solution to this particular problem is to buy chinos that are wide enough at and below the knee to allow for a clean line from hip to ankle. If the legs are too narrow at any point, they will be forced to bend to follow the shape of your leg, and creases will result. Quality has nothing to do with it. BB Milano Advantage chinos are very nice, and good value, but they crease at...
No, you are talking about evolution, and therefore it is. Overalls are irrelevant to the "rules" of "classic menswear", but if you want to start talking about what "we" would all be wearing if style didn't change, then I think it is important to note just how few people in America (let alone the world) would actually be wearing "classic menswear" in the first place.Yes, we have all chosen to follow a certain tradition of dress; that is why we are here. Just don't...
Maybe you would, but my ancestors certainly weren't wearing morning dress... if clothing and styles didn't change I'd presumably inherit their tradition, not the tradition that your ancestors apparently followed, and I would be wearing homemade overalls or something similarly befitting of my family's working class roots.Be careful not to over-estimate the past ubiquity of the clothing tradition you have chosen to follow.