or Connect

Posts by Thin White Duke

I thought your nine year necro post on the other thread was a record but you beat it with this one. Bravo!
Nine year necro - is this a record?
A few years back I bought a load of off-brand cotton v necks in black, scarlet, royal blue, bright yellow and bright green. They've been augmented by others in rust and purple plus an off white cricket jumper (Durham County) and a navy cable knit with Wimbledon trim in green and purple. I suppose I was thinking of wearing them on cooler days with a polo underneath, but we don't get many cooler days here (and when we do it gives me a chance to break out a jacket) so I can...
Errrrr ... a tailcoat is a tailcoat, for white tie. A 'tuxedo' or dinner jacket is the less formal black tie variant that is more or less in the style of a lounge suit jacket. I don't believe there's any such thing as a 'tailcoat tuxedo'.
Well the 'two items' rule is one that you've prescribed for yourself it's not a universal truth.I honestly don't know when the deerstalker became associated with SH - maybe the first few Rathbone films before he was teleported to the 1940s and wore a slouchy fedora to fight Nazis, or it may have been as far back as when the original stories were serialised and illustrated. Either way I think that the association is now pretty well fixed in the public mindset regardless of...
Good discussion on hats. A few points / opinions: My Dad was born in 1921 and was in the RAF until 1958. I have some photos of him in civilian clothes wearing a fedora in the fifties (on a trip to Gibraltar IIRC) but he never wore a hat in my lifetime. Several possible reasons - cars, fashion, JFK, who knows? Deerstalkers - fucking ridiculous man, cosplay at its worst. I remember catching a lad who was wearing one in the Leeds Warehouse nudging his mate and them both...
As usual Andy is spot on. Also remember dinner jacket pockets should be jetted / besom, ie no flaps. I got a modern dinner jacket which came with vents and flaps. I had the vents closed, no problem, and just tuck the flaps in rather than pay for them to be removed. My shirt is Thomas Pink 'marcella' style which has the pique texture on the collar, bib and cuffs but is very light on all the unseen parts. You can get decent cuff links and stud sets in onyx and silver from...
[[SPOILER]] Good stuff lads. I've wondered if you Scandies ever get the chance to meet up. Your next challenge is to rope in Butler and anyone else from around that way!
That's what my heart Yearns for now Love and Pride
During the seventies I wore 'Start Rite' shoes as a nipper then graduated to 'Clark's Commandos'. The department stores had large white electric machines that looked like a balance scale but had a box you put your foot in and the sales woman would push a button so that bars would move in on your toe, heel and sides of your feet to tell you what size you were. Then you got your Clark's Commandos with a small booklet inside the box with a 'Warlord' style adventure comic...