or Connect

Posts by Geoffrey Firmin

JM is correct buts it's also about the death of the infalability of religion, hope and the horrific void that the Great War plunged Europen society. A brilliant example of Modernist ideas also look at The Waste Land.
The Second Coming Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity. Surely some revelation is at hand; Surely the Second Coming is at hand. The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out When a vast...
IT geeks, media hacks & cultural creatives e.g. academics all big wearers of jeans. Most self employed types I know its S&T or sports coats tie and trousers.
Are you chasing a particular woman fox?John Cooper Clarke Ten Years In An Open Necked ShirtRimbaud The Complete WorksA personal gem 1951 Penguin edition T.S.Elliot A Selection By The AuthorThe Norton Anthology of Poetry
It is IMHO one of the best visual war memoirs written, Dispatches by Michael Herr is another which is staggering in its blunt descriptive power of the Vietnam war. I had a copy which went walk about in the 80's then found a copy in 2008 at a secondhand book store in Beechworth. Well worth a visit if your out that way, I've picked some great books up from there over the years.
Haven't read Remainder will add it to my list. The thing with PoMo is that it was very specific to its time and did have a definite style and yes Modernism has had specific movements both literary and visual which adjusted ideas to suit their time frame. But I think that PoMo was broader in its scope and terms of reference in particular the use of briocolage,cultural studies the broad impact of French Structuralist and Post Structuralist thought and it gave rise to a lot...
Third of the way through enjoying it, like the ideas and concepts. I have to ask what is the fascination with Post Modernism I though it was dead and buried?Read C thats good.
31 Satin Island By Tom McCarthy
Re buying from Sierra Trading Post the best time is on the weekends when they heavily discount stock. The Peregrine jumpers and cardigans by J.G. Glover are good value for money and made in UK.
FTFY