Posts by Geoffrey Firmin

12 QUARTLEY ESSAY ISSUE 66 THE WHITE QUEEN AND THE POLITICS OF RACE by David Marr David Marr turns the political blow torch on Pauline Hanson an extreme right wing Senator who (thinks) she speaks for the dispossessed and aggrieved white Australians who feel the current political and social climate is not to their liking. And in doing so gives former PM John Howard a serve for being a (please insert derogatory term of ones chasing here). Interesting and direct analysis...
Master Classter the best and cheapest place for booze near you is Kemeny's opposite St Patrick's in Bondi Road. The clean skin wine is also very good value. Highly recommend.
John Karandonis profiled in the Good Weekend on a subject close to everyones heart and wallet http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/john-karandonis-on-reviving-the-lost-art-of-shoemaking-20170322-gv3lmq.html
Mel Gibson story about a contentious objector who received the Medal of Honour for his valour in the field as a medic at the battle of Okinawa in bringing in from the field seventy five of his fellow comrades. Strong cast headlined by Andrew Garfield as Desmond Doss and Vince Vaughn as his company sergeant. Strong contingent of Australians including Hugo Weaving, Rachel Griffiths, Sam Worthington amongst others.The film was shot in NSW and being a former production...
29c today clear blue skies after a week of rain, great for my vegetable garden and rest of the vegetation around the house. So warm enough for a variation on Ottolenghi's Coleslaw with fennel, Spanish onions, red capsicum carrots and Italian parsley with garlic and chilli for good measure, dressed with homemade mayonnaise.Served with gourmet lamb snags and vegetarian snags from Suzy Spoon the vegetarian butcher. Washed down with a Adelaide Hills Mr Noir 2015 Pinot...
Your right. I've heard they eat better there.
Donny McCaslin and his band which backed Bowie on Blackstar is playing at the Melbourne International Jazz Festival. As for the Swiss aren't they responsible for decaf coffee?
Got rid of Linkedin, never been on Facebook and I had to close my Twitter account because of politics. That said I applaud your work in this area more so as I grew up in a society,culture and age where wife bashing was considered a national sport more so if your team lost or you'd been in the pub all arvo. Not good, society has to change.
I know but the idea of buying 500 kilos of comics just blew me over.I mean how many is that?Funny thing is he wife doesn't know yet.
Mrs GF crashed on me last night so no Wings of Desire. Capote was on cable last night. This was good I'm not sure I would compare it to Infamous as they are two very different films on the same subject. One thing I noticed last night were some Edward Hopper inspired stylised visuals which appeared throughout the film. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was excellent, and the Academy Award for Best Actor justly deserved IMHO. Clearly the combination of Hoffman's acting and...