or Connect

Posts by Mort Sobite

Most of these winter type boots are ugly. Just get some nice refined looking leather boots in the height you like and wear overshoes when it's wet.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Funny, I've talked to lots of "expert tailors" who say mid-calf is "correct." Actually, it sort of depends on the coat. A sportier coat like a British Warm is traditionally knee length. A more formal coat like a Chesterfield tradtionally extends past the knee. Which tailors were these and from what shops? And I guess it's not so important on a tall man but observe mid calf length coats on short men this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Funny, I've talked to lots of "expert tailors" who say mid-calf is "correct." Actually, it sort of depends on the coat. A sportier coat like a British Warm is traditionally knee length. A more formal coat like a Chesterfield tradtionally extends past the knee. Well I guess if it's a Loden coat then they're cut longer because they originated with shepards who were out in the elements all day but a long...
some nice coats here especially the alpaca http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/ou...et=0&nLimit=20
Quote: Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley My tailor has often mentioned that mid-calf is the right length for a DB overcoat. I get mine maybe an inch below the knee. But an inch below the knee is not mid calf. And where are you measuring from. To me the knee on an average man is about 4" long. The best length is to the top and if you like it longer than at the bottom. That's the knee, below that is the shin.
Quote: Originally Posted by NOBD According to? According to expert tailors gained from generations of experience on what looks and fits best. Of course, you can wear anything you like
Quote: Originally Posted by MetroStyles I bought a new leather suitcase for cheap just for fun. As a pet project, I'd like to distress the leather in a way that makes it look as if the suitcase is vintage. What is the best way to scuff/fade the leather without going overboard? I am assuming that there are documented ways to do this. Perhaps something used to distress a leather jacket can also be used on a leather suitcase? I'll also gather a few...
Quote: Originally Posted by phatty123 Assuming you are wearing a dress shirt untucked... how long should it be in inches below the waist? Of course its suppose to be tucked in but if not untucked... how many inches? I heard 7' was good. The reason why i ask this is because i wore a dress shirt and i thought it was way too big because it was too long below my waist. The fitting was fine but it was just so long from top to bottom. OK I just...
Quote: Originally Posted by fritzl ok Trocken just means it's vinified dry like an Alsatian wine. You can have a trocken or halb trocken from a spatlese or even rarely auslese.These are determined today by a set level of sugar on the oechsle scale. German wines can live a really long time which I guess is due to the balance of acidity/sugar. I had just drank some of my Maximin Grunhaus Herrenberg (auslese) from the 1976 vintage and it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by binge Just got a text from a friend of mine in Boston: got 2 bottles of Romanee-Conti 2005, $1900 each. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Egad! I was just looking at my cellar book and can see that I paid $600 for a case of the 1976 Romanee Conti in the late 70's and $480 a case for both the La Romanee and Romanee St. Vivant. And that was very expensive at the time when Lafite '70 was going for $15