or Connect

Posts by ChrisGold

I've been in that exact position, a 6 year old and three year old twins. It was a month of hell.
It's an issue but not nearly as big as you might think. I live in a similar sized neighborhood and we've dealt with two homes that were sold VERY low, one in foreclosure and one in a divorce. Both homes sold for more than $100K under where they would be expected. All the homes that sold since then sold right where they should be, including homes within a few hundred feet that sold for $200K above the low prices, as they were larger models.The fact of the matter is that...
I live right outside of Doylestown. It's an incredible little town, with a ridiculously long list of famous residents, mostly related to the arts. (Ridiculously long because there's really no attraction to live there, was just a sleepy, bucolic little farm town.)
Closed a big investor for my last startup over breakfast there. Great food.
I'm a fan of Princeton, and it was between that and the Doylestown area. My wife now works over on this side of the river also so it worked out, but the real decision was based on property taxes... only pay $8K here and would have paid $14K in Princeton. Also, you have to navigate around all that crazy traffic in the Princeton area which gets tiring.I used to have a lot of great meals at Margaret Kuos when I worked out in that direction, it's funny how many restaurants...
Great town, some great restaurants... I have a buddy who was a top exec at Main Line Health who moved at the same time from the same small town in CT. He had to live there because of his job location and was not happy with the real estate prices compared to living up in Buck's County, which we chose because my wife was commuting to Princeton (Lawrenceville) at the time.
Correct, if you're going in that direction. (West or South west) Central Bucks is anywhere from top 5 to top 12 depending on the year. This area has a ton of pharma and consumer goods people who commute over to Princeton or even up into Central NJ via 202, besides the Philly commuters. Besides Central Bucks SD we also have New Hope / Solebury which is very solid.
I've run the numbers, looked at how people treat rental properties, etc... and I have come to the conclusion that I'd rather stuff my money in a mattress than deal with a tenant in any way.
Exactly. I was thinking more of it having appreciated to the 600K range, which brings even more into play. Probably 85% of American landmass, maybe more. I live in a top school district, commutable to Philly, PA pharma, NJ pharma, etc... and anything between 550-650K will comfortably buy you a large home, newer or brand new, 3200 - 3500 square feet easily, usually larger. My neighborhood tops out at comps in the $649K range, as we have small lots on a golf course, but...
Absolutely, it's all predicated on having to spend $ on a place to live. I rushed through an example and could have used that as a positive opportunity cost. I was trying to illustrate how quickly ownership and sale expenses pile up and often erode what appears to be profit.