or Connect

Posts by v0rtex

Quote: Originally Posted by Pennglock In the category of scenes I wish I could "unsee," there are a couple in the movie Irreversible. There's a difference between powerful/moving and shocking, though. All those shock-horror movies are disturbing at the time but don't really affect the way one lives life. Thought of a few more: Ikiru - slow-paced Japanese film from the 50s, about living a meaningful life. "It's a Wonderful Life" without...
No-one turns up to "upper-middle class narcissist club" in real life, they all think they're too good for it... Seriously, the trouble is that successful, intelligent people usually have a lot to do besides posting on the Internet. There's topic-specific forums where you can learn from experts about a very specific thing, and there's generalist forums which tend to be populated by people with nothing better to do than spend time online. SF occupies a happy middle...
Would be interesting to see some actual projections and outlines of people's plans to get there and not just wishful thinking/random guesses I'd like to be there by 35. I have somewhat of a plan involving rental property that would put my net worth at $1m+ by that time, or at least well on the way to it. Concentrating on buying a home to live in first, though. Millionaire/wealth to me = net worth. Liquid wealth is either being wasted doing nothing (not working for...
"Mugabe and the White African" was incredibly moving; hidden camera documentary about a Zimbabwean farming family trying to protect their farmland from seizure by the Mugabe government.
Quote: Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman If each generation were actually lazier than GDP (held constant for inflation) would go down instead of up, but it grows geometrically not even linearly. That's assuming that human productivity is the only factor affecting GDP; the population is rising and automation has (and will continue to) increase.
Quote: Originally Posted by The Mitchelli I was an Englishman in New York for sometime - working at an investment bank and compared to most - I found the Americans some of the hardest working people I have ever met... Another English transplant here... realized a big part of the reason Americans like convenience and laziness so much is because they work ridiculous hours and get next to no holiday time. Last thing you want to do after a week of...
You can save money by buying the tickets online in advance and having them mailed/delivered to your hotel, there's a few decent resellers out there. http://www.floridaorlandotickets.net is one. (Disclosure: That site is run by a family friend). Also, if you're going to need more than one hotel room for your group consider renting an entire vacation rental house; there's a ton of resort neighborhoods that were sold as second homes to foreigners who rent them out. Since...
Quote: Originally Posted by CouttsClient You should consider hiring a designer for a consult. Where you might be unable to afford the full time services you can certainly hire your favorite designer to consult with you on the floor plan of your home, the furnishings, the placement, etc... This sounds like exactly the sort of service I'd want. Thanks. Quote: Originally Posted by turboman808 My antiques and artwork would...
Maybe an average of $3-5k per room (excluding kitchen/bathroom as I know they're major jobs), 4 rooms so $12-20k right now. No idea if that is a reasonable amount to be considering designers. I'd be happy with Ikea furniture as long as the place looked well put together. Will an interior designer advise on bathroom/kitchen renovations or do they just do surface items (pick furniture, colors, etc)? Seems like a lot of money to me but then I see designers with...
Anyone ever hired an interior designer? How much does such a service cost? Will they help to put together a plan that involves buying pieces over time, or is it expected to do the whole job at once, including buying all the furniture through the designer? Anything you particularly liked/disliked about the process? Would you do it again? Was it worth the expense? What questions should I ask prospective designers? Any tips for finding good designers? Situation:...