or Connect

Posts by v0rtex

Quote: Originally Posted by mm84321 Uhh, so who's gonna buy this thing? Like the Fat Duck book, there'll be a cheaper edition within a year or two - the big, expensive one establishes it and gets the early adopters and professionals, then the casual reader can pick up the paperback.
Not used this seller but adding a recommendation for the Thinkpads being bulletproof. My bro went through three Dells in the time I had my T42. Still using it as a media center.
Quote: Originally Posted by deadly7 So I was having a discussion with some people and wasn't sure what the "correct" approach on this is. If someone has successfully graduated college from a foreign country, would it make sense for that person to get a GED here? I know some hiring managers don't care, but I also know that some do. As someone who immigrated here with a technical degree, no-one has ever asked me for a GED - it's implied that if...
Quote: Originally Posted by nxt777 Great reply thanks! we are constantly adding and evolving. Kent Denim is all made in USA with Cone Mills White Oak Denim, and Japanese Kuroki Denim. Some of the best rigid denim material to work with, it takes on a great natural fading. UNlike other Bigger lines that don't say where their japanese denim comes from we feel it is all about the ingredients. We will always tell you what kind of material we are using. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by mharwitt my favorite is a guy snapping a shot of the text description next to a Rodin statue I've done this, mainly if it's an artist I'm unfamiliar with and want to remember the piece to research it later on. It's quicker to take a quick photo of the text card than it is to type it all into a memo.
Threads (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/) is my favorite apocalyptic film. TV movie that was shown once on over-the-air channels in the UK at the height of the cold war. Terrified everyone, got banned from TV and the writer never worked again. Low budget but the unflinching realism gets inside your head like nothing else. It's just so... ordinary. When the Wind Blows is another British film, an animation. The Brits have the perfect sense of despair and pessimism...
I got by with a Black and Decker $30 burr grinder from Target. Broke down twice in 18 months and got replaced under warranty. Recently upgraded to an Ascaso i-Mini which was $285 from http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ and the difference for espresso is very noticeable. Still keep the Black and Decker for coarse grind though. If you're just grinding for drip coffee/french press then a cheap burr grinder is fine. For espresso, it's worth saving up for a decent grinder.
Quote: Originally Posted by fathergll Biggest problem is simply "Temporary nature of knowledge capital" Isn't this the case in all physical professions though - there's only so many years a builder can carry heavy loads until they're physically forced to move to foreman/general contractor roles, or get out of the game. Even in the world's oldest profession, workers eventually get old enough that they need to move to managing the front of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by fathergll Thats a HUGE problem with the tech industry. Theres no protection and no standards. Its a complete and utter mess. Agree there. Quote: Basically a Computer Science degree from India holds the same weight as one from the U.S. A Nursing degree from India is worthless here unless the international RN's training program at least meets the US"˜s minimum educational requirement for registered...
Quote: Originally Posted by marmaladecorgi Not certain what you want re the investment value of the pieces Is there such thing as investment value at the low end of the art market? It seems like "market established" works start in the $$$$$ range - if you're buying student/local artist/etsy stuff for $$$-$$$$ it seems like it has no resale market. Seems equivalent to penny stocks or thrift store shopping - occasionally you'll get lucky if you...