or Connect

Posts by v0rtex

Quote: Originally Posted by highfalutin What is the best way to set up an IRA to have leveraged stock market exposure? What I have in mind is approximately 2:1 exposure to an index such as the S&P 500. If you have to ask the Internet, you probably shouldn't be buying stocks on margin, lest this happen. The Lifecycle Investing guys have not succeeded using their strategy, it's just a pet theory of theirs.
Plenty of fine (fictional) suggestions at the wonderful http://tvgohome.com/
Read Dave Ramsey, he's great for starting out. Follow up with Richest Man in Babylon and Millionaire Next Door. Ramsey's advice is not that exciting (pay off all your non-mortgage debt, hold 3-6 months expenses in cash, invest 15% into IRAs/pre-tax) but it is solid financial advice.
Quote: Originally Posted by Pantisocrat As a learned man, I visit a lot of museums, which inevitably contain a Greek collection of nude statutes among other notable collections. The sculptures always project life size figures of great beauty. However, many Greeks I meet in person are not as attractive. Why? As a lazy child with a lot of free time I watched a lot of American TV and movies, where the women were always beautiful and the men...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jekyll Richard Branson The myth of the college drop out is a logical fallacy: Some very successful entrepreneurs dropped out of school Therefore, if I drop out of school I am more likely to become a successful entrepreneur This is incorrect. The majority of self-made millionaires are college educated. Only 20% do not have a college degree (compared to 45% of the general population). 18% have masters, 8%...
This tacky POS is languishing unfinished near Orlando, yours for only $75m: Largest residential home in the US, 90000 square ft. 10 kitchens, so your chef has a different one every day of the week and two at weekends. 13 bedrooms and 23 bathrooms. In a fitting display of karmic justice for a property built by a timeshare tycoon, he's having trouble selling it because there's no resale market for the ridiculous thing.
Search http://www.ebay.de for "bundeswehr sportschuhe"
A well constructed argument is not necessarily an effective one. Are you interested in the theory, or do you just want to win negotiations? Watching 10 minutes of US political news is good proof that the great majority of people are swayed by arguments that have little basis in fact or logic. Similarly, the 6ft linebacker at the bar who calls you a douchebag is unlikely to back down when you invalidate his argument on the grounds of it being an ad hominem...
Quote: Originally Posted by caxt Who would be a great thinker of our time? Zuckerberg? Is it even possible for truly great generalist thinkers to exist any more? There's an exponentially larger amount of information to process and manage that makes the likelihood of another Leonardo Da Vinci or Franklin much less likely. 150 years ago you could know everything there was to know about science, mathematics, philosophy, economics, etc....
Quote: Originally Posted by tagutcow I have four words that should set every moviegoer's heart racing with excitement-- Moratorium! On! Railroad! Bonds! LOL. I'd consider myself an uneducated, casual economics nerd (enjoy feeling clever reading the Economist and Freakonomics type stuff, never taken a class in it) and a giant narcissist to boot, so prime audience for Ayn Rand. Yet this movie looks boring as hell. The public reaction will...