or Connect

Posts by v0rtex

Gucci did a Cadillac in the late 70s: http://irocklabels.com/1978-cadillac-seville-gucci-edition/ There's one on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Seville-RARE-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-GUCCI-MODEL-8-CYLINDER-WHITE-/110744595722?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c8e46d0a
Because they're "virtual carriers" (forget the technical term for it), they just lease access to equipment from the big networks that manage their own infrastructure (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc) so their startup costs are low - they don't need to pay for the R&D or for future infrastructure expansion, just their bandwidth bill from the upstream telco. Also, the margins are very high for cellphone services - there's a fair number of decimal places to go down from the...
I got a Thick as Thieves tux and was very happy with it. Midnight blue, unlined, peak lapels. Certainly nicer than anything I could find OTR in that price range.
Quote: Originally Posted by Xericx can't believe its only 100 bucks. It's the Gillette model of selling the razor (AppleTV) cheap so you have to buy the expensive blades (iTunes downloads) forever.
Two more votes for Cialdini's Influence and Dale Carnegie. The E-Myth Revisited is about how to build systems to run a company, which was the "a-ha" moment for me in working out how people scale businesses. Alan Weiss' "Million Dollar Consulting" is about how to run a solo consulting practice but would also be applicable to management. His advice about focusing on (and charging relative to) the value provided to the client completely changed the way I approached my...
Wearing a nice pair of Prada captoe oxfords today that have held up well in rotation. Prada's formal shoes are all very sleek and long with thin soles, so they look great but the soles tend to wear through quickly. I had a pair in the UK, when I walked a mile or two every day, and they wore through in about 18 months. Over here in the southern US where a long walk = crossing the parking lot twice a day this pair looks brand new after 3 years.
The Up series is pretty fascinating. First one was filmed in the mid-60s, where the filmmaker took a group of about a dozen British 7 year olds from various backgrounds and asked them what they thought their lives would be like. Then every 7 years, films a new version with the same people and sees what they're doing with their lives. "56 Up" is due out sometime in the next year. Continue my recommendation from the earlier thread for any Adam Curtis stuff, especially...
Salesforce.com is ridiculously over-specced for what you need. Why not go one step further and set up a few servers, install SAP, and you could have it hooked up to some industrial automation system to run your woodchippers... giant waste of time and money at this point. Using separate software programs is not necessarily a bad thing. You can use iCal/Google Calendar for scheduling and Excel to maintain a client list, and take advantage of decades of work and billions of...
Great show. "The League" is similar in that low-budget, sex-obsessed kind of way.
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero Most wealthy people are too busy experiencing things that actually bring happiness rather than accumulating shit for its own sake. IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating shit for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for...