or Connect

Posts by ShaneB

Quote: Originally Posted by Mystic-poot I've been looking at Herring Shoes, showed a couple to dad and he's told me that anything above £140 is unreasonable for shoes. I'm going to be wearing them with a £300-£400 suit. Is this true? You have to determine what proportion you're paying for the brand, craftsmanship, and the materials used. In some instances your dad is right, in others he isn't.
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie Ahh, refreshing. More generalities and blanket statements, with some incorrect assumptions based on nothing mixed in. Guess what, I'm not a banker. Had you known that, would you have called me haughty and arrogant? I wonder if there is bias involved. Fooling anyone into what? Petty insult? No. I've just gathered from your rants that you have a certain perception that is not tied to reality, and I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie +1, I doubt Shane has any idea what the industry does, much less how critical it is. It is hard to have complicated discussions with people who think in generalities and blanket statements. There's always subtle undertones of haughtiness when these types of things are discussed; it seems bankers like yourself are so arrogant in dismissing other people and all under the guise of 'ignorance'. You're...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dashaansafin Jesus F. Christ are you serious? Do you get all your news from the NYT??? Do you even know what INVESTMENT BANKERS DO?????? The general public is so stupid its nauseating. Expletives aren't arguments. I find it bizarre how some in this industry can create this veneer of complexity and loftiness when in actual fact none exists, hence the general public is 'stupid' because they seemingly don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Determing the difference between a US vs. UK thing by quoting a New Zealand website if pure comedy gold. Try and follow the line of logic - I gather it's a UK / US divide given that the distinction between salaries & wages is a elementary point in my country; evidently, that distinction seems to have been lost amongst all and sundry in the States (for some reason). But suffice to say, there is a...
Quote: Originally Posted by thenanyu What if I got payed for every 2 hours of work? What about every 4 hours of work? At what periodic interval would I transition from wage to salary worker? I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious - Quote: Employment law does not provide a specific definition of a wage or salary earner. However, generally speaking, the term 'wages' is used...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Houston, we have a troll on the radar. Grow up. Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire It was fun playing. Again, wage and hour laws determine what positions may or may not be salaried. Have fun playing in the troll park without me. By all means retreat...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire No, I said a consultant gets an hourly. You may have to pay them part or all even if they do not complete a particular task. This has been fun but for all business purposes the definitions of the wage and hour laws define who may and may not be a salaried employee and it has zero to do with a "professional ethic." 'Professional ethic' isn't stipulated by any national or supranational body - what type...
Quote: Originally Posted by thenanyu I write software for a living, as does my colleague sitting next to me. He gets payed an hourly wage. I get payed a salary. I am a professional. He is a labourer. Got it. I equally have a good friend who writes software who works in the same fashion as your friend: he, like your friend (I presume) is a freelance developer, i.e., he is a consultant and professional. I'm really at a loss as to why so...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire No, but it will slap your ass with huge fines if you don't follow the guidelines to determine who is and is not exempt. What becomes clear is that you have never had your own P&L to concern yourself with. I've only just read the link you provided and have no idea what you think it proves. Needless to say, a wage is defined as an hourly or job specific form of payment, a salary is a periodic form of...