or Connect

Posts by ShaneB

Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter ok, would they have succeeded if the issue was the right to practice smoking? the right to practice first cousin marriges? slavery was key to the society and the economy of the south.everything was related to slavery. What are you going on about...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter are there any peer reviewed historical writings that claim that slavery wasn't the issue that triggered the civil war? Loads - the von Mises institute produces a lot of work that has a pro-Confederacy flair, other than that, you'll find works every so often that's published by the likes of Harvard or Oxford, but rarely do these tow the constitutional or republican line.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dashaansafin Again, saying a ton of nothing and hiding the fact you didnt even know what an investment banker does. Pray tell, what is your profession? I'm not saying, nor have I ever said, anything of detail on the financial crisis. I know what an investment banker does, thanks.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lighthouse The Civil War has taken a good vs. bad narrative in the non-southern parts of the country. I am curious whether the pomo/crit lit professors in the universities have reexamined the war and questioned the good vs. bad take. Absolutely. It's very simplistic. As for the whole academic dimension - it really does depend where the academic is writing from: institutions with a more social-democrat persuasion...
I’ll reply to points that we broadly disagree on – but please, don’t starting citing Wikipedia and the like, this is an informal discussion on a clothes forum – I haven’t got the time or inclination to start scouring the internet for quotes and facts – just go from what you already know / read. Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky Strike This industrial equipment, shipped mostly to the North, was paid for in ready money, no? As a strategic business...
Quote: Originally Posted by coldarchon how does this make sense if you read about whats going on in their homecountries and see indicators they import their low and primitive culture instead of assimilating to the high culture that gives them a chance to achieve prosperity? http://www.pakistanchristianpost.com...hp?newsid=1737 I can't decipher this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Please enlighten me about the grey moral areas of racially-based slavery in a mid-19th century Western "country". Sprinkle it with "narratives", if you want. Tone down your language and I will. In intellectual history you provided what's called a 'false dichotomy': you simplistically reduced the given thing into two puerile alternatives - hence me saying it's about as enlightening as stating it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Sources, please? I think you'll find that the great powers (Prussia was just starting out as one at this time, btw) were betting on both horses, their main Realpolitisch concern being the supply of cotton and other agricultural goods on the Confederate side, and industrial inevestments and development on the Union side. Tall promises were made to both sides. Sources? Ermmm, I'm not writing an essay and...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter the south had an economy, and a system, that was based on chattel slavery of black people. the very welfare and success of people was based on the untold suffuring of another group of people. it is a pretty simple equation. yes, it is a shame that all those buetiful houses and parties and fun had to end. but it had to end in order to end a horrible situation that caused suffuring for millions of...