or Connect

Posts by guyver00

The Knottery - 25% off purchase with code "GOBBLE", good till Dec 1.
The GTAT stories sound implausible, but I think there are some truth in them. I think back to people who bet the life savings on Enron and Lehman before their collapse, it doesn't seem so far fetch. I'm 34, started investing at 32. Bought AAPL, BNS and CNR first, dipping my toes in. Then in 2013 sold all my individual holdings and went into index ETF's. I'm 100% equities, 95% ETF's and 5% individual stocks for speculative play.
No shit, selling their shares right before the Apple announcement. Even with SEC investigations, the mom-n-pop's, if they're lucky, will get probably get less than 20 cents back on the dollar. Index ETF's with 5% speculative money for me.
That's the problem with most mom-n-pop investors, they think speculating in penny stocks/O&G exploration/junior miners is all fun and game, while investing steadily over the years is boring. People are into quick fixes and not looking out for themselves long term. Everyone thinks of the unlimited potential, and not consider the terrible consequences of losing your life savings. Enjoy all the benefit without the risk, yeah right! The worst of the story I read was the son...
Before anyone decided to jump into a single stock with a large sum, give this a read about GTAT. http://whitecoatinvestor.com/putting-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket/ High risk gives high reward, but can also easily derail your plan.
@idfnl The most important thing about trading is to keep emotions in check. For me, I just hate the thought of losing out on any big gains because I sold at an inopportune time. In the back of my head, I always question "Did I just sell a future Google/Microsoft/Bershire Hathaway/etc?" It rears its ugly head again on Friday, when I sold my TWTR to buy SWHC, I hesitated for a good 5 minutes before I complete the sell order. I reassured myself that SWHC is a company with...
Yes, I thought about that, using 20% for speculative plays. But I know my temperament, and it makes me anxious and self-doubting whenever I sell my holdings. The worst thing to happen is the stock I sold shoots up, while the newly bought ones just do nothing. So many times I had to myself for trading. I find that passive indexing gets rid of that anxiety in me, and helps me stay the course.Of course, that 5% speculative play is just for my inner-hunter ego's indulgence.
I'm 34, invest in 5 index ETF's, all stock as I need to build up a pot of "Fuck You Money" for early retirement. 5% of my portfolio is for trading purposes. Started investing 2 years ago, started with picking stock, then switched into index investing in 2013. I don't see how you can prevent people cherry pick their data to bury their loses, except perhaps to publish their annualized/YTD returns.
Sold my TWTR today, split the proceeds equally into SWHC and ATK.
That's the fallacy of looking at a money manager as a professional who's better than you at managing money. We tend to see that a licensed professional is better than a lay person, such as a physician, dentist, plumber, or car mechanic, it's a heuristics that works most of the time; not so in finance and stock market.90% of stocks are own by institutions nowadays, and there are tonnes of smart and driven people working on Wall St, looking for that edge. In order to...