or Connect

Posts by Little Queenie

Finally managed to catch up on the 300 and odd pages I'd got behind with: good job there was so much drivel and I'm an excellent skim-reader.............
I'm not sure about their sta prest, but most companies that offer internet sales have a fairly simple returns policy, I worked in fashion retail for years and would suggest ordering a few garments you like the look of and just trying them at home for fit etc. - there is so much discrepancy between sizes it can be hard to tell what will fit and what won't. If you're trying out a look you're not too confident with, then trying some ideas out in the privacy of your own home...
Entirely agree about the 'cardboard' statement! You wear them in and get them comfortable just as the sole wears out or, worse, cracks around the welt! New ones are good for giving you blisters, though. The leather is very poor quality, so saying, they do polish up to an admirable shine.
Liza Minnelli in Charlie Bubbles. I think the wig wearing (as a fashion, rather than necessity) was a trend in the '60's. My mum, who is about 6 or so years older than you originals certainly wore them as a fashion and hairpieces for those very bouffanty up-does (no-one has that much hair!) She had lovely long blonde hair throughout the '60's and the wigs were merely used to change your look.
I think a bit of balance is required here: I'm sure no-one would say that a historian knows nothing about the period he studies because he wasn't there at the time and, as every historian knows, there is nothing more valuable than an eyewitness account! However eyewitness accounts are, by their nature, subjective and, of course, can never provide an overview of the wider circumstances. Such a happy conjunction of both views has kept this thread going, so perhaps it would...
Yes they do have a habit of crossing in the ether..... not like a good old fashioned conversation!
I don't think there should be room for anyone preaching on here, at the end of the day we have all come to realise the huge regional differences and, indeed, differences in the clothes that individuals wore within the, apparently, same style.You can only comment on what you (a) witnessed yourself or (b) have heard from someone else who was there. Sweeping statements like 'Skinheads never wore that' would be best replaced with 'we never wore that in my area'.What first drew...
Good evening: I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, being content to watch from the sidelines, but feel steelies need defending!When Bob started work at the pit, one of the older blokes had been an original Skinhead and he had certainly worn steel toe-capped boots as a Skinhead (and not just for work). Bob reckons he's spoken to at least 8 original Skinheads who wore them as far apart as Bath and Whitley Bay! We've often spoken about them with our mate from...
Thanks for that....
I remember those dimple mugs up our way from my childhood (my dad,a rugby player, was always partial to real ale!).That would be the '70's.