or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Avocat

Quote: Originally Posted by Nicola Used to be UPS/Fedex air both included brokerage fees in the normal shipping price. Maybe it's changed . Ground was the method that screwed people over. For small high priced items the more expensive air shipment often makes sense. That's why the high end US camera shops stopped using UPS ground /fedex ground to Canada. People would end up paying brokerage fees higher then the small increase in cost that using the...
Fidel, for leather shoes and boots that are made in the EU (incl. the UK) it's 18% duty, plus provincial sales taxes (less for shoes/boots made in Commonwealth countries, but doesn't include the UK for some reason unknown to me). This rate of duty applies no matter where they are imported from (i.e., where made not where bought is what counts). ONLINE Purchases: If buying from i.e. the UK, they'll deduct their own VAT (which is 17.5%), which in turn cancels out the CDN...
^^ You're right. Save an animal, eat an animal rights activist .... (just kidding). S'sly, your argument isn't logical, though; as to discussions about microwaving pets? Running over kittens? Some people know some very scary people, I agree. (I don't like murderers or those who torture animals for (sadistic) pleasure either, DWFII: electric fences sound about right for those types, but there's no connection b/w them and the OP's question). Anywho, ... myself, NOT a...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII ^ Sure and I agree...up to a point. I'll tell you a story that informed my thinking some 40 years ago... I lived on a small piece of property when my wife and I were first married. We raised chickens and geese and hogs and goats and rabbits--small "homestead" as it was called back then. We "husbanded" them, we slaughtered and butchered them. Next place over lived a young man and his wife and children. They were what...
Toronto? Great dining, theatre and nightlife, etc. but shoes? Very over-priced. Shop online for better prices and selection. S'rsly. That said, Yorkville area (Bloor Street-Yorkville) is the City's high-end shopping area. Rosen's flagship store is there (82 Bloor St. W., not a huge selection, mainly: Salvatore Ferragamo, Prada and Allen Edmonds but also, uh, Boss and Cole Haan). Holt Renfrew (50 Bloor St. West, see: http://www.holtrenfrew.com/holts/pag...men&bType=foot...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nosu3 What does species superiority have to do with losing ethics? Rarely. Some designers are using Nutria fur... an animal that is killed for pest control and the otherwise discarded remains are used. North American Natives might disagree with you there, Nosu. Then again, they have--and continue to--follow the rules of Fair Chase, hunting free range animals since time immemorial. Take the Inuit and seals for...
Animal flesh--proteins and minerals--are not available in plants (not the same at all); while one can argue we eat too much red meat in western cultures, that's a different argument altogether. Moreover, scientists believe that the eating of animal flesh is what in fact is responsible for the growth of the human brain. Also, and contrary to the beliefs of vegans (who sometimes say otherwise), it's an accepted fact that monkeys, like chimpanzees for e.g., eat meat: the lead...
Quote: Originally Posted by dah328 The answer to that question is nothing. No one coat will work with "everything." You probably won't spend much time on the more formal end of the spectrum, though, so some coats that are versatile in the casual to business casual range are heavier peacoats and duffle coats. +1. Peacoats and wool car coats are versatile, and can be worn pretty much anywhere (black or charcoal). Dress up/down with scarves,...
Inuit eat seal meat, the fur making for weather-proof coats and boots, with deer and buffalo long hunted for food, their hides likewise used for everything from teepees and drums, to clothing, etc. In South America, the indigineous peoples eat reptiles, with horses used for boots, etc. In the Philippines, they eat dog (not German Shepherds, so .... ), with kangaroo meat and hides being important to aboriginees of Australia. That we humans 'engineered' cows via domestic...
Quote: Originally Posted by EMY avocat- is the Nikon 50mm 1.4 worth the extra $200 over the 50 1.8? I am not a pro and just shoot for fun. OP- the 50mm f1.8 is a very good value. It should probably be one of the first lenses you buy. Both Canon and Nikon has a version for about $100. @Emy: excellent recommendation. As to the 50mm F1.4, the F1.8s are too much of a value to justify the price premium, seriously, unless you're really into low...
New Posts  All Forums: