or Connect

Posts by Avocat

^^ You're right. Save an animal, eat an animal rights activist .... (just kidding). S'sly, your argument isn't logical, though; as to discussions about microwaving pets? Running over kittens? Some people know some very scary people, I agree. (I don't like murderers or those who torture animals for (sadistic) pleasure either, DWFII: electric fences sound about right for those types, but there's no connection b/w them and the OP's question). Anywho, ... myself, NOT a...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII ^ Sure and I agree...up to a point. I'll tell you a story that informed my thinking some 40 years ago... I lived on a small piece of property when my wife and I were first married. We raised chickens and geese and hogs and goats and rabbits--small "homestead" as it was called back then. We "husbanded" them, we slaughtered and butchered them. Next place over lived a young man and his wife and children. They were what...
Toronto? Great dining, theatre and nightlife, etc. but shoes? Very over-priced. Shop online for better prices and selection. S'rsly. That said, Yorkville area (Bloor Street-Yorkville) is the City's high-end shopping area. Rosen's flagship store is there (82 Bloor St. W., not a huge selection, mainly: Salvatore Ferragamo, Prada and Allen Edmonds but also, uh, Boss and Cole Haan). Holt Renfrew (50 Bloor St. West, see: http://www.holtrenfrew.com/holts/pag...men&bType=foot...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nosu3 What does species superiority have to do with losing ethics? Rarely. Some designers are using Nutria fur... an animal that is killed for pest control and the otherwise discarded remains are used. North American Natives might disagree with you there, Nosu. Then again, they have--and continue to--follow the rules of Fair Chase, hunting free range animals since time immemorial. Take the Inuit and seals for...
Animal flesh--proteins and minerals--are not available in plants (not the same at all); while one can argue we eat too much red meat in western cultures, that's a different argument altogether. Moreover, scientists believe that the eating of animal flesh is what in fact is responsible for the growth of the human brain. Also, and contrary to the beliefs of vegans (who sometimes say otherwise), it's an accepted fact that monkeys, like chimpanzees for e.g., eat meat: the lead...
Quote: Originally Posted by dah328 The answer to that question is nothing. No one coat will work with "everything." You probably won't spend much time on the more formal end of the spectrum, though, so some coats that are versatile in the casual to business casual range are heavier peacoats and duffle coats. +1. Peacoats and wool car coats are versatile, and can be worn pretty much anywhere (black or charcoal). Dress up/down with scarves,...
Inuit eat seal meat, the fur making for weather-proof coats and boots, with deer and buffalo long hunted for food, their hides likewise used for everything from teepees and drums, to clothing, etc. In South America, the indigineous peoples eat reptiles, with horses used for boots, etc. In the Philippines, they eat dog (not German Shepherds, so .... ), with kangaroo meat and hides being important to aboriginees of Australia. That we humans 'engineered' cows via domestic...
Quote: Originally Posted by EMY avocat- is the Nikon 50mm 1.4 worth the extra $200 over the 50 1.8? I am not a pro and just shoot for fun. OP- the 50mm f1.8 is a very good value. It should probably be one of the first lenses you buy. Both Canon and Nikon has a version for about $100. @Emy: excellent recommendation. As to the 50mm F1.4, the F1.8s are too much of a value to justify the price premium, seriously, unless you're really into low...
Quote: Originally Posted by CDFS Rereading some posts; you're probably right. I recalled only reading of the Nikon F5 and Canon 1D Mark XVII, but perhaps that was another thread. Nikon F5 (pro film body)? Canon 1D (first pro dslr by canon)? WOW, those are "oldies"! But you know, had I listened to the old news hounds and gone with a Nikon film system as opposed to a Zeiss/Contax 35mm film set up (I’ve a Hasselblad also, since digitized with a...
CDFS, with the greatest of respect, have you read the responses to the OP? Not only did we give him links to great resources, where he can read up on all things digital photography as well as equipment, etc., but we're also providing him with a book! In addition, we found out from him what he is looking to do, which is important in order to know what to recommend. Moreover, we explained to him some very basic things about cameras, how they work including lenses, and we...