or Connect

Posts by Avocat

Quote: Originally Posted by BC2012 I am fairly sure Yale doesn't offer any merit scholarships but, who knows, it could have been different before. Interesting school path, Avocat. Thanks, BC. I can't tell you about scholarships, grants, etc. these days, but back in the 90s, I can say that US and CDN programs were flush with cash and sponsors per se (and, yes, it helps when you achieve a so-called LSAT in the top percentile plus a GPA...
LSAT? What’s that? Oh, right the thing you write (along with the GPA earned) to get into law school … (yeah, I suddenly remember it: Yale full scholarship offer, 1L, transfer back to a CDN law school also full scholarship plus full faith and credit for all credits earned so as not to lose a single credit after playing them all off against each other, though I had to “repeat” Con plus one other 1L course (it was b/w Property and Crim, I chose Crim as simply didn’t want to...
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym ... They are very logical to me. I think you too misunderstood DW's points. And I agree with him that you seem to (ab)use other's posts as springboards to your own thoughts. Most of what you write seems to agree with DW. Normally I wouldn't take the time to respond to such obviously incorrect posts as you two's, but I have Manton's recent laments in mind -- that those who know are being overwhelmed by those who do...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rugger Is there a general guideline about what pocket squares are supposed to contrast/match/accentuate? Should the play off the shirt, brighten the tie, pull together matching the shoes? Great question, and the possibilities when it comes to pocket squares are nearly endless. It should complement your shirt/tie/jacket without matching, which is achieved by either picking up an accent colour or coordinating it with a...
FLMM: I am very sorry to hear about your little guy. How awful, and my deepest condolensces to you as well. My Jack Russell of 14 years just passed away over the holidays, and it is always sad to lose a pet. Always. Sound like you did good by your little guy, and that you are a good owner. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you to do what you did, but that you were strong and brave for him is wonderful. (You did good by him, FLMM). I don't know how you feel...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII All this and what did (I myself) end up saying? The correct answer is "nothing." ... (But since I) entered into a discussion that (I myself) don't understand, can't handle, or makes (me) sick (I) remember the old saying..."you volunteered for this shit." FTFY. Then, I am reminded of what my niece said to her mother (being my sister-in-law), when she saw people cleaning toilets for a living: "Mommy, it's a...
Quote: Originally Posted by in stitches either wear leather or dont eat meat or dont i dont give a crap but all this phsyco babble eco friendly peta bullshit is making me sick im wearing alligator shoes (and watchband) sheepskin pants suede jacket and a mink hat sue me bitches yep, do as you will in accordance with your own convictions! And if PETA tosses something at you, SUE THEM AND BUT GOOD!!! (bunch of hypocrites ... oh, well).
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII ^The more I read your postings, the more I suspect that you don't read anyone elses remarks except as a springboard for argument.... It you who are not reading others' posts, and/or you are unable to understand the responses--as to your snark, "get an education/illiteracy" and English as a second language comments, stop with the snark. Many of us here, including myself, are far more educated than you; then, we...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicola Used to be UPS/Fedex air both included brokerage fees in the normal shipping price. Maybe it's changed . Ground was the method that screwed people over. For small high priced items the more expensive air shipment often makes sense. That's why the high end US camera shops stopped using UPS ground /fedex ground to Canada. People would end up paying brokerage fees higher then the small increase in cost that using the...
Fidel, for leather shoes and boots that are made in the EU (incl. the UK) it's 18% duty, plus provincial sales taxes (less for shoes/boots made in Commonwealth countries, but doesn't include the UK for some reason unknown to me). This rate of duty applies no matter where they are imported from (i.e., where made not where bought is what counts). ONLINE Purchases: If buying from i.e. the UK, they'll deduct their own VAT (which is 17.5%), which in turn cancels out the CDN...