or Connect

Posts by Avocat

Quote: Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan I bought Peal & Co Chukka boots (the $248 crepe sole ones); do I need shoe trees in them? Or are the trees just for more formal shoes? Trees? I put them in all my boots. You don't need anything fancy per se (regular trees will do), but do use the cedar ones which, in addition to dealing with creases/retaining shape, help to keep your boots fresh whilst absorbing moisture (your boots are...
Quote: Originally Posted by in stitches he is an accomplished attorney, so like 26ish Just a quick note--the average age of a first-year entry-level law student is older than 26 (it was about that 15 years ago actually, 27 to be exact in the US); today's entry-level JD student is much older than that, so perhaps you mean 46-plus? Ah, the profession: where else can one be turning 45 and still be considered a "young professional" -- most...
+1 to the vast majority of songs listed. @ Duran, but in a good way. I saw them in concert, initially opening for Blondie b/f they became a so-called super band, thus deserving a mention, I agree. I laugh though b/c, when I saw them the second time, only thing audible was a gazillion screaming girls, all with big hair and blue eye shadow (thinking back, it was funny). But Duran's 1st album was rather good--i.e., Planet Earth, Girls on Film, etc., I agree! +...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambo That's nuts. You guys really need to get the fuck out of Lower Canada and come on down to the good ole' South. It's actually a western/Rocky Mountain (all of it, north-south) thing ... just wait until Summer. Have it on good authority that it's coming to a good ole' town anywhere western hemisphere soon! Ah, but those Rockies. Recall one year, boiling to death in the humidity (anywhere North-East/Niagara...
SField, I am not certain what to say, other than to say how sorry I am for you, too. That you are in shock and hurting is entirely normal. Although it may seem hard right now, no matter what emotions you are feeling, please remember that it is not your fault, and that there is no need for you to be embarassed. Rather, surround yourself with strong friends and family members at this time, and above all else allow yourself time to heal. It also helps to talk about it, to let...
Excellent idea for a thread, NYR; and great question, Deadly. I'm a lawyer and prof in the area of IP (i.e., patents, trademarks, copyright, entertainment, etc.). After years of practice, I lectured (adjunct) whilst providing advice for a university. I loved it so much that I'm in the process of transitioning into academia full time. While it entails a "pay cut" from private practice (not a minor consideration, Rugger, comparative to industry, and trust you will agree),...
Quote: Originally Posted by deadly7 Yes, except the average layperson has no idea what A:TLA is. They would assume, wrongly, that it was associated with the James Cameron Avatar. I've seen copyright suits won for a lot less. Actually, what Recoil says as it relates to Copyright Law is correct. While titles, names, slogans and short phrases may be the subject of a trademark (provided strict statutory and/or commonlaw requirements are met), they...
It's, Regional and university norms play a part, as does the fact that you are not just a student but also a TA. In your role as a TA, how you dress affects the learning environment and yet profs of science and math related disciplines in general (but by no means always) --and students especially--are not exactly known for sartorial flair. To be fair, it's also true of many profs teaching outside the professional schools (but again, not always). This, unless their...
Good one, Thomas (and talk about a classic, RSS *grin*). Adding a joke in light of a convo here about car problems, which made me think to share a little joke that's been floating around that's somewhat related to the subject of car woes; it's entitled: "If Microsoft made cars" ... source: http://www.jokesunlimited.com/jokes/...made_cars.html (probably a Mac User, but here goes and enjoy!) If Microsoft Made Cars At a recent COMDEX, Bill Gates reportedly compared the...
Cool ... and appreciate the heads-up/report, Rambo: thanks! Heard great things about Superman/Batman also, Neo, but haven't had the time to check it out ... yet ... hmmm, seems I've been dilatory when it comes to the DC universe and definitely have some catching up to do this weekend (thanks for reminding me, Neo: will check it out, too).