or Connect

Posts by Avocat

Quote: Originally Posted by RangerP I know that, which is why I don't own or plan to ever own a HB suit... I thought I was pretty clear in my post that I was not saying that they were a bargain, even at 750$ a pop. Avocat, I know they sometimes carry completely different lines. I just didn't want our American friends to think we are completely crazy with out pricing up here in Canada...although we almost are. As for Harry Rosen's history, I knew he...
RangerP, I said Holt's, and HB has different lines (I know Rosen has many sales going on from time to time and they also carry cheaper lines, which I don't have time to scrounge through, nor would I wear either: you're looking at 1400 at Holt's, but I wouldn't waste my money on that, as said (is it possible that prices and products vary from province to province and among different stores? That said, I find it cool that you mentioned Harry Rosen: Did you know Mr. Rosen...
Porsche 911 Turbo x's 5! Hon. Mention: Alfa Romeo Spider, MGB, Jag E-Type (XK-E), Benz Roadster and ... Mazda's MX-5 Miata ... that's right, the Miata: b/c it filled a huge void in the market for many at the time, thus prompting i.e. Porsche, BMW, etc. to bring back roadsters (not to mention that it's actually a fun little car that's easily modified for the track -- see, e.g. SCCA Pro Racing/Spec Miata). @ Albern: agreed. My vote of confidence for the Tesla Roadster,...
Quote: Originally Posted by juvefan schindler's list +infinity. Also: Roman Polanski's The Pianist and Roberto Benigni's La vita è bella (Life is Beautiful).
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarandas I have a couple of shirts and two or three zip sweaters, they look very worn out after just one washing (and I do care and read the instructions)... ... the quality is very very low compared to the price tag. But I´m shocked when reading the prices in the U.S. or Canada, a suit starts at 600€ (around 800$) in Spain! Agreed and indeed! The labels must think we're all rich yet uneducated consumers in...
Quote: Originally Posted by epa ??? Have you seen the prices of ... Loro Piana RTW clothing? . Have you seen the price of Hugo Boss suits in Canada? Start at about $1400 + taxes at Holt's. As to peacoats, etc. I don't think anyone here said--or suggested--that anything HB is baby cashmere or in any way comparable to Piana, because it's not. Most HB fabrics are a blend, though sometimes they do use finer fabrics. There doesn't seem to be any...
There are a great many excellent novels of various genres already listed above (being excellent reads all); and to which I'll add the following: Classics (Politico & Philosophy) Plato John Stuart Mill Adam Smith John Locke Thomas Hobbes Honourable Mention: Friedrich Nietzsche, Edmund Burke, Aristotle, and so many others. Classics (Literary): John Steinbeck Charles Dickens (+1) Edgar Allan Poe (+1) Leonard Wibberley Farley Mowat Honourary Mention: William Shakespeare...
Quote: Originally Posted by entrero Sometimes they use Loro Piana fabrics, but command a much higher price. Well stated, and most true of Boss as it is with all branded designers--i.e., why pay more when you can have a made-to-measure item for the same price (or less), being one that is better made (sewn not fused, etc.) and a better fit than RTW, as has been said by others. Here's an article that might be of interest to the OP, which sets out...
The answer is, as in all things, it depends on your tailor and what you want to spend (thus agreeing with what everyone else has said here). A tailor can take sleeves in from the shoulders, take material in, out and cut it down, and add darts, with good ones able to completely re-design a suit for you and/or make other alteration "miracles" if you want, depending on the skills of the tailor and/or seamstress. (If so, be sure to ask the tailor for work samples, along with...
You're welcome, and my pleasure. Generally speaking, and for general informational purposes only without rendering a legal opinion or advice [or any opinion or advice whatsoever, with the further disclaimer also that I am not a licensed attorney in the UK but in North America, and as such speaking in the utmost generalist of terms here, for informational purposes as above said (which I have to say, right?)], business sellers who sell to consumers in the UK are bound by...