or Connect

Posts by Avocat

Quote: Originally Posted by Douglas Poor Tony Blair. Because of Iraq, he's lost all credibility with the left, so he has to take on right-sounding causes or nobody will listen to him. +1. It all started with Mr. Bush, who swore there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, thus raising the alarm as to "terrorists at the gates" (and he did so with the same fervor as any doomsday-preacher). Putting his blind faith in Mr. Bush, Mr. Blair...
Quote: Originally Posted by CouttsClient Here's a recent one from a STEAK RESTAURANT: Is it STK in West Hollywood? If so, how's the bourbon? (makes a nice sauce/marinade for steak ). EDIT: looked it up on Yelp and seems many people like the atmosphere, etc. Guess that reviewer took a wrong turn or something, as she definitely had something else in mind for dinner, among other things, despite knowing it's a steak place. Seems from her other...
^^^ I also find that CK sizing is accurate, as does everyone in my family who wears them. CK's come in thick and thin cotton designs to work with all clothing types and activities, with an assortment of colors available, and are comfortable. That said, and don't know if it's true for all of their lines, but it seems that new boy's boxers and women's slim fit boxer-briefs are made in Thailand, with quality control suffering-i.e., don't hold up to wash and wear like they...
@narcissim: a vote for the domestics? I personally loved those old muscle cars, being great collector's pieces today. (Anyone try a 'Stang in the snow? The trick was to fish tail in a way as to edge over to the stop sign, as opposed to the ditch. Heavy bags of cat litter, etc. in the trunk helped, too!) @lemmywinks: great idea for a thread. BTW, are you keeping tabs on the results so as to report back on them? Just an idea (thinking out loud), which would be fun and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Alter All the kind words are very appreciated! I should have a better picture in the next few weeks. I hope the next post about it is in the "Things that make me happy" thread! Alter: don't give up hope. Doctors are overly-aggressive these days, and are always running tests. May it all turn out to be nothing. Best of luck, and stay strong.
Quote: Originally Posted by FLMountainMan Avocat, I'm about to be a real dick to you, which is unfortunate, because you originally posted to help me out. But you struck on a pet peeve of mine. I'm assuming you are in academia for two reasons - You have an LLM and an SJD, two degrees which are completely worthless (save a tax LLM) outside of academia. You list your credentials, which almost no one outside of academia does. In the real world, if...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Just attempting to talk down to another lawyer was precious. Let's just drop it. BC Pinots might one day be worth their money; they are no where near it now. Also, the only "hype" exists in the minds of overly nationalistic Canadians. The VQA crap is even worse. Pio, I didn't talk down to him, but gave him proper advice within the limitations imposed actually. The matter is resolved, and I'm glad he's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire They are important but they are also pretentious to be posting to strangers on the Interwebz in the fashion you did. Here's all the advice you need for Canadian red wines: buy American. We'll have to agree to disagree on your first point, as a professor of mine once said: anyone can have an opinion about anything, and that's cool, but different weight attributed to different opinions, depending on the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I am well aware of what Americans drink. Btw, the Irish drink whiskey also. Not to be rude, but you should probably go read some of the threads on various alcoholic beverages in the lifestyle forum. They might indicate to you that I need little in the way of instruction when it comes to adult beverages. I once added up all the letters I'm entitled to put behind my name. I couldn't fit them on a business card. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Eason You have a seder for the first night of chankuah and it just goes for fucking ages (depending on how much stuff you want to read and act out) but on the bright side you get to eat matzah with charosset and horseradish, eat some hard-boiled eggs, whatever you're really hungry from waiting so goddamn long so it all tastes good. Around half-way through, you light the middle candle and then use it to light one of the candles...