or Connect

Posts by Flea Spray

I've only ever bought off-the-peg shirts, so can anyone give some advice on having custom shirts made in London? Where could I go and how much would they cost? My problem is that virtually every shirt I buy has sleeves that are far too long to wear with a proper suit. The cuffs are 2-3 inches too long. A couple of shirts I've bought over the years have had good sleeve lengths but even so, one is always half an inch longer than the other, which I've come to the conclusion...
Debenhams probably has as wide a range as you can expect from a UK high street shop, and I can't see them. I've no idea what most of the Levi numbers on those pages mean though! Primark jeans may not look as good as Levis, but at leas they give then names like "Straight", "Comfort", "Boot", "Slim" and "Skinny" etc.If you can get 514s in UK shops, it'll probably be from smaller, independent retailers.
This pic shows two different styles of joining a suit jacket sleeve to the body: http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7892/shoulderk.jpg The left image has a straight shoulder that runs smoothly into the arm, whereas the other has the arm attached higher than the shoulder, so you get a small 'bump' where they join. What is this bump called, and how is it made? What controls how pronounced the bump is, as some jackets have a more noticeable bump than others. I like it, I'm...
Thanks for the replies. They helped me choose one of three overcoats yesterday. The one I liked the look of the most (a brown course twill overcoat inbetween a jacket and a three quarter length) was 50% polyester, with 100% polyester lining. The one I bought (a plain black three-quarter length overcoat) cost more but was 80% wool and 100% viscose lining, and hoping that viscose wouldn't leave me soaking wet whilst wearing it (a huge problem for me with coats) was one of...
Most wool suit jackets I see have completely synthetic linings. I suppose very expensive jackets may well use natural fibres, but is there any reason linings on most off-the-peg jackets are totally synthetic? I was looking at linen jackets during the summer and noticed they all had polyester linings, which surely impacts on each jacket's ability to keep you cool? It can't only be cost because even the middle priced linen jackets had synthetic linings. And my main...
Sorry, I flipped the model in the above photo, so the pockets are on the correct side on the actual coat. But yes, I was disappointed when I checked the tab and saw what it was made of, especially after I'd already seen the price and assumed it was all-wool. For under £100 I could live with the high pol***ter content (don't want to swear on a fashion forum), but those shoulders just look malformed to me. Clearly, they're deliberate, I just can't see why.
I was looking at a coat in the UK high street store Debenhams, but the shoulders have these sort of lumps in them. Here's a picture: At first I thought it may be a fault in the one I tried on (they only had one left in my size) but then I checked the website and as you can see in the photo, the coat the model's wearing also has the bumps. I did also try the next size up, and although these bumps were less pronounced, they were still there. What is it about the cut of...
Well I finally went to buy a pair and, typically, they didn't have my size and style in stock. I'll go elsewhere tomorrow. However, while I was in the shop, I had a good look at DMs. The far-eastern ones do look almost identical to the 'Vintage' range, but the stitching looks different, and there's a slight texture to the Vintage leather. But are DMs waterproof? I don't know the technical name, but there are folds of leather stitched between the edges of the tongue...
What about breaking them in, is that as much of a nightmare as I've read? And does it matter which kind of DMs I get, as long as they have air soles? I like the Gilberto and Chris styles, as well as Sawyer, which look like desert boots. Are the thin air soles of the DM 'Sawyer' boot more comfortable than normal desert boots with solid soft rubber soles?
I've never worn a pair of Dr Martens, but I do a lot of street walking (sometimes more than 15 miles in a day, though usually around 5) and am looking for comfortable walking boots. Would DMs be good, as after a lot of searching I've read lots of people saying they're perfect whilst others say their reputation for comfort is very overrated in an age of gel insoles and the spongy cushioning materials that many other heels are now made from? I don't mind the weight of...