or Connect

Posts by Spong

I agree completely, I just find it odd because I've observed before that the bulk of the SF collective seems inherently hostile to hats. 31 pages and no-one posting anything negative or that tiresome meme about "what you think you look like versus what you actually look like". I'm just a bit shocked.
How is this thread even a thing? Every time prior to this the hat subject was raised on SF it's always been met with the same response: "hats are anachronistic and only for the over 40s/50s". Where did all the hat love come from all of a sudden?
Yeah I checked out the UK stockist: The Butler Company. They just have what looks like a placeholder site with an email address, no web store or anything. I've emailed but not heard back from yet.Edit: If a 12.5 isn't available would it be better to size down to a 12 or up to a 13? I've had some shoes in UK 11.5 before, which would be US 12, I've also heard Chippewas can be on the roomy side?
Good to know about the sizing, thanks. Sadly most places I've seen them in the US won't sell internationally. I saw Schott's store will but they don't have 12.5, perhaps I could get away with the US 12 but the shipping pretty much doubles the price - if I did that I might as well get some Wolverines, Red Wings or even Oak Street Bootmakers or something, all of which appear to be more readily available over here, oddly enough.
Anyone know where to get the Service or Homestead boots in the UK in UK size 12 (US 12.5 I think?)
Thanks very much for the link and for providing some very interesting points of discussion to boot! I agree that such guidelines shouldn't be taken as the be-all and end-all of dressing but it is extremely useful as a solid base to work from.
Hi all, I recall one of Vox's threads from a while back, a comprehensive guide to the difference between city and country dressing and covering the basics of a well-rounded men's wardrobe, but I can't seem to find it anymore and I've lost it in my bookmarks. Anyone remember the one I mean and have the link? Cheers!
Sadly I do not know. It's OTR (Austin Reed) and the label doesn't say. It is a relatively thick cotton. I'd say it's slightly thinner than my Uniqlo chinos but doubled up in a lot of places so it feels heavier. I think I've made a mistake and a thinner cotton, a linen or a mix is the solution. Ho hum, bit of a waste of money but a valuable lesson nonetheless. Edit: I'd actually go as far as saying it's hotter than some of my lined linen jackets
Good day gents, long time no speak. As the UK is `enjoying` something of a heatwave I decided to buy a half-lined cotton jacket. I've been disappointed to find that I'm still far too hot. What gives? Average temperature is about 25-28 celsius here at the moment but I'm given to understand chaps in the Mediterranean or the humidity of the southern US cope with much higher figures by shedding the jacket lining. Frankly I'm puzzled as to why this isn't helping me.
The glasses I'm holding aren't that great. Part of the problem is I want a frame style which looks good as both glasses and sunglasses. With my current frames for some reason they're passable as specs but the sunglasses look utterly ridiculous and emphasise my overly large head - one of the reasons I was going for a larger, bolder frame was to make it look less like a tiny pair of specs lost in a sea of my face .I accept your verdict that Wayfarers aren't really suitable...