or Connect

Posts by toslat

With a masters from MIT, I would think you should be knowledgeable and sound enough to not be limited to an esoteric field except by your choosing. In general, there seems to be some underlying issues that may need addressing in the immediate future. I would advise that you go back to the drawing board to define your career and life goals; make clear plans towards achieving them; and then you should be able to make decisions like this more easily in the future, as then...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gibonius You say "I'm going into academia" to a chemist, and they think "research," not "teaching." That's the distinction I'm trying to make here, whatever ratio you end up with. In chemistry certainly, the positions with a higher fraction of research are far more competitive and more highly regarded by most. I dont see how localizing to chemists validates your earlier assertion. I am not a chemist, but if...
Some info/guide on conducting meetings effectively I. Pre-Meeting (planning and Organizing) * this imo is the most important part and is yet often neglected - determine the purpose of the meeting - write objectives targeting the purpose you want to accomplish - from the objectives, determine agenda items and list them in a logical sequence - set approximate time limits for discussion on each agenda item (based on their complexity and relative importance to your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gibonius Teaching and academia are two different things. "Academia" implies a research position, with a minor (if any) teaching component. Those are extraordinarily hard to get and attract some of the best talent in science. The money is pretty decent, many start around $100k, and you can get up into the $250k+ range if you're awesome. Positions that focus on teaching are not considered desirable at all, and are kind of...
Until there is an agreement of what intelligence correlates with ( .g. what is clear evidence of high intelligence), there is no point in IQ tests as a measure of intelligence as its accuracy cannot be measured. That being said, whatever IQ tests measure, given the low precision, is obviously neither innate nor static.
Quote: Originally Posted by makewayhomer I could create a story and post it here, about some made up experience I had with B. Nelson. I'm sure I could make it sound horrible, and it would be all made up. that would cause the business to lose customers. what would that prove? all I know is that SF members are probably in the top .1% of detail conscious people I know. and again and again people rave about his work. I'm sure that all people here who...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick V. You're an absolute unequivocal liar. I deal with 1000 customers a week. I owe it to them and they deserve my undivided attention. I'm supposed notice how your dressed? Rather, maybe you were disappointed that my world didn't stop when you finally showed up after talking about this nearly all week. I said I complained about "how many customers I lost"? How do you look at yourself in the mirror? Save your stories and...
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett Garbage. It's not about transparency, it's about: 1) Not trying to resolve with Nick before starting this thread 2) When not getting exactly the response he wants from Nick, continuing to assert that he is owed something and then gathering the steam of other members on here to load on the train and say the same to Nick He wants to post a review on Yelp, let him. The problem with posting on a forum like...
I am with the OP on this one. He has only described his experience and unless he has made false allegations, I dont see how he can be in the wrong. Its a simple case with two parts: 1. were the said damages caused by B. Nelson 2. If yes, what did they do to resolve it. For those saying that the OP's methodology was wrong and accusing him of a smear campaign, I doubt your position would be same if the OP was recounting a 'wonderful' experience. Would same defence have...
Listing a high MSRP and then claiming a huge discount is primarily a marketing ploy imo. A lot of consumers, particularly, in the US respond more to discounts than absolute value, while some believe quality is correlated to MSRP (i.e. the more expensive , the better the quality). I would not be suprised if the suits were listed at $300 and his sales plummeted sharply. Consumers are an irrational bunch.