or Connect

Posts by Peter1

I can't even begin to describe how much I love what Yuketen does -- my big complaint with Russell, Quoddy, Rancourt, OSB etc. is that they're basically making the same shoe/moc as one another. But Yuketen has really stretched out the USA Handsewn brand. Now I wish they were about 50% cheaper but that's the price for creativity, I guess. Ah well, someday...
Topy works great for me. Not sure what it costs in the US, but here in Paris it's 15 euros/pair. I think you want it to go all the way to the edge. It covers the forefoot not the arch, and comes in various colors. I don't notice a difference except that I'm not worried about falling on my ass when the sidewalks are wet.
The NYT tries to dissect Supreme, 10 years too late. http://nyti.ms/ULGLnK I always thought Supreme was just pulling a big joke on its customers -- selling cheapo hoodies and hats with the logo for crazy prices and "limited" editions...still think that... but I really do think they've got the marketing master plan down. I'm always impressed with brands that manage to stay the course, even if I think their clothing is shite.
I think Canada Goose is what you want. I lived in NYC for a decade before moving to Paris -- I was always happy to have a down coat with a zipper. Problem with pea coats or duffle coats with buttons or toggles is that the wind will get in. There's always those days when the wind whips in from the Hudson and it's 15 fahrenheit. If you want a dressier coat, too, I'd get a Gloverall duffle or a slimmer fitting pea coat -- I think BIlly Reid makes a nice one. Can't speak to...
I didn't find my self wearing my black Mcallisters much in the US, but I live in Paris now and black shoes are the norm even in casual dress. I got mine Topy'd and wear them two or three times a week, either with gray flannel pants, raw denim or slate colored chinos. Paris is a very formal city.Most men here tend toward very sleek whole cuts so I really do feel like I'm wearing gunboats sometimes, but that's really not my style. Yet.
You have to consider both the job and the location, unless you really don't care about where you live. I've moved half a dozen times, but always, always to a great place, even if it wasn't an obvious huge vertical step up, career wise. It's a lot harder with kids. We moved to Paris from manhattan this year and its been a huge psychic and financial drain, mostly because of the French bureaucracy.. However we are finally mostly settled and starting to enjoy the city. Over...
Oddly, no, but I think that's specific to boots vs. shoes. The store (NYC, near Grand Central) owner said that with the Daltons, you want to nail the toe/forefoot fit, then don't really worry about the heel -- he was right, though I had the same concerns. I think that you can cinch the heel back into the shoe with boots, whereas you can't with shoes. (hence, the dreaded "bowing")FWIW, I wasn't going to drop $400 on the Daltons without an expert fitting -- he Brannocked me...
I vote hem, assuming you've washed them (NS, I assume?) and gotten all the shrinkage out. Your style is pretty consistently "tidy business casual" (in the best sense of all three words) and cuffs look better, I think, with the nice footwear that you favor.
I have to agree -- I bought a pair of chocolate Daltons this spring and they were comfortable right out of the box. On the store owner's advice, after fitting, I went up one size in width (from 9.5D to 9.5E) to accommodate heavier socks. Look great with jeans/khakis/suit, especially nice with Epaulet Rivet Chinos.However, one caveat: These are the squeakiest shoes I've ever owned. I've got about 10-15 wears on 'em (too warm this summer...) but I feel like they announce my...
Moscots are bullet proof. I have a pair of Hymans (hard to say that with a straight face) that are rock solid, esp. the hinges. I'm actually going down to Moscot on 14th later today to get another pair, maybe Nebbs this time. Price: Well, they're no bargain at $225 and the prices have gone up 25% or so in the past two years. But I think they're worth it, esp. if you have some insurance coverage.