or Connect

Posts by Peter1

Hello -- we're moving to Paris next month, expect to be there for a few years. I'll be needing some somewhat conservative dress clothes at some point -- I understand that while few men wear ties many wear suits to work. So...are there any stores/chains that are the equivalent of Brooks Brothers, as far as price/quality/design? High fashion aside, I know nothing about French mainstream men's clothes. Thanks
Actually I think rivets are extremely true to size in the waist. I.E., a 32" waist is not much more than 32" measured -- you can check it on the size charts. Most people, myself included, are used to pants that are up to 3" larger than tagged size, mostly because they are designed to sit on the hip rather than the waist. For example my true waist is around 32.5" but where I wear most of my casual pants is around 34."Don't forget that they are slim pants, so the rise is...
Here's a Epaulet-related cleaning tip. I managed to dump coffee on my practically new clay canvas rivet chinos the other day:censored: (sabotaged by the coffee shop worker -- lid wasn't fastened all around). Making things worse, there was cream in the coffee, and I was at work with nothing but water and paper towels. I blotted the stain (most of my left thigh) with cold water as best I could. When I got home I soaked the pants in a quarter cup of Borax in a gallon of ...
Ultimately if you're not comfortable you should size up.However, I actually sized down for my last 2 rivet chinos (old style) from a 33 to a 32. I may go with a 33 next and have them taken in now that it's possible -- I think what I really need is a 32 waist with a 33 top block. The old 33's were bunching at the waist once they stretched.
It's been 20 years since i seriously read philosophy/lit crit, but if you want a gateway book that will show you the power of stuff like that, I'd recommend "Practical Ethics" by Peter Singer. It set off a firestorm of criticism from advocates for the disabled, you might recall. It's a great read that can stand on its own without a grounding in classical philosophy.
Nah. I used to wear camo pants pretty often and I'm not a wild man by any means. IMO it works best with an untucked OCBD or looser gray or white T (black will make you look like Dog the Bounty Hunter). I think you want to be super casual and avoid any suggestion that you are in the miltary or want to be. But I do understand that wearing camo is a touchy subject.I have my ideal camo chinos in mind -- a big, non "Tactical" pattern is key, i really like the S D'A ones on that...
Hello, I have a pair of size 9 L.L. Bean Signature Hunting Shoes, in tan waxed canvas. They are too wide for me in the heel. Worn about 10-15 times, mostly to and from subway. Note that these only come in whole sizes, and the standard is to size down 1/2 size. For reference, I'm a 9.5 C/D on a Brannock. These are a D width, in the 8-eyelet height. Link to item on Bean site below. I can take a photo of the soles if you're seriously interested -- there's only a small bit of...
I think you're just trying to minimize trips to Costco.Anyway, too monochromatic for my taste -- but fit and texture is great.
Yep, just a regular climbing carabiner from the days when I used to climb (before children -- someday one will be my ropegun...). I've been meaning to order a leather fob from Zissou if he's still making them...I'm always juggling stuff so I need to have the keys handy. And jamming a ring with a bunch of keys into jeans that fit the way I like them to is hazardous to my femoral artery. I do keep my iphone in my front pocket ... but that's not really a good solution: I'm...
Getting back to the "personal payment" part: So in the future if we want buyers to pay via PayPal we should just say "$50 via PayPal" and leave the "gift" or "4 percent" part until the PM'ing back and forth? Edit: I'm cool with all the rules. The best part about B&S is the level of trust, because everything is transparent.