or Connect

Posts by Peter1

You have to consider both the job and the location, unless you really don't care about where you live. I've moved half a dozen times, but always, always to a great place, even if it wasn't an obvious huge vertical step up, career wise. It's a lot harder with kids. We moved to Paris from manhattan this year and its been a huge psychic and financial drain, mostly because of the French bureaucracy.. However we are finally mostly settled and starting to enjoy the city. Over...
Oddly, no, but I think that's specific to boots vs. shoes. The store (NYC, near Grand Central) owner said that with the Daltons, you want to nail the toe/forefoot fit, then don't really worry about the heel -- he was right, though I had the same concerns. I think that you can cinch the heel back into the shoe with boots, whereas you can't with shoes. (hence, the dreaded "bowing")FWIW, I wasn't going to drop $400 on the Daltons without an expert fitting -- he Brannocked me...
I vote hem, assuming you've washed them (NS, I assume?) and gotten all the shrinkage out. Your style is pretty consistently "tidy business casual" (in the best sense of all three words) and cuffs look better, I think, with the nice footwear that you favor.
I have to agree -- I bought a pair of chocolate Daltons this spring and they were comfortable right out of the box. On the store owner's advice, after fitting, I went up one size in width (from 9.5D to 9.5E) to accommodate heavier socks. Look great with jeans/khakis/suit, especially nice with Epaulet Rivet Chinos.However, one caveat: These are the squeakiest shoes I've ever owned. I've got about 10-15 wears on 'em (too warm this summer...) but I feel like they announce my...
Moscots are bullet proof. I have a pair of Hymans (hard to say that with a straight face) that are rock solid, esp. the hinges. I'm actually going down to Moscot on 14th later today to get another pair, maybe Nebbs this time. Price: Well, they're no bargain at $225 and the prices have gone up 25% or so in the past two years. But I think they're worth it, esp. if you have some insurance coverage.
I'm pretty happy with email alerts -- I signed up pretty early but didn't buy anything till a few weeks ago -- my wife is really looking forward to T-shirts. (I actually think Everlane's women's shirts are a bigger deal given my wife's constant bitching about not being able to find good cheap T-shirts). I will say that even though it's probably a pain for Everlane to hand-verify "insider" status, it's worth doing, as is continuing to maintain this thread and respond...
GBV mediums fit me perfectly, like they were MTM. I'm 5'11, 155-160 lbs with a 39-40 chest for reference. But the selling point are the fabrics -- I can't think of another maker (maybe EG, but the fit idsdefinitely not for everyone) with such a range of unusual cloth. I haven't tried WvG because I don't like back pleats except under a jacket.So as to what you should pay -- depends, as usual, on whether they fit you. I personally prefer to buy MiUSA clothes when possible,...
Re: returning factory seconds to AE store: Well ... look at it this way... the salesmen work on salary plus commission. They are focused on selling as many new shoes, in store or ordered from their store, as possible. Anything that distracts them from their mission is not going to get a minute of their attention. BTW I was in the E. 44th St. NYC store on Sunday, bought a pair of Daltons...but in the half hour I was waiting to be helped, the 2 salesmen on the floor moved...
Yeah, the whole point of a "trench" coat is that it covers a lot of your pants when it's raining. If you've ever tried to walk in NYC in a rainstorm, even holding an umbrella, the rain will soak your pants on around your knees. That's because when you walk your knees project up and forward. Thus, a full length trench coat will protect your fine wool trousers from the rain... Now, biomechanics aside, I do agree that a full length trench looks old-mannish, and I also agree...
Hello -- we're moving to Paris next month, expect to be there for a few years. I'll be needing some somewhat conservative dress clothes at some point -- I understand that while few men wear ties many wear suits to work. So...are there any stores/chains that are the equivalent of Brooks Brothers, as far as price/quality/design? High fashion aside, I know nothing about French mainstream men's clothes. Thanks