or Connect

Posts by Peter1

This may be heresy...but...I've been wearing rivet chinos to work a lot (2x a week)...and I'm actually less in love with the taped outseam than I was a couple of years ago. (I cuff about 1.5 inches) I think it may not be the tape as much as the stitching. But the fit is absolutely perfect. Mike, would you even consider replacing the tape with a felled seam? (believe the term is either flat-felled or double-felled?) The cost might be the same, i.e. replacing the tape with...
I can't comment on the Rossi,s but I have a pair of Blundstone 500s made in Australia, a decade old, and I've resoled them once. THe leather is still pretty much good as new - really thick; the gore is a little stretched out but serviceable.But newer Blundstones are made in Indonesia, I think, and maybe the quality is down a little. I've handled some new ones in stores and can't really tell the difference. Perhaps the leather, gore or stitching is a little less...
Some eye candy on the Nepenthes site. The Post O'alls x EG chore coat is insane and I'm afraid to go over there and even look at it.. The sunforger fabric really mellows as it ages.
Usually warmer, for example 12 oz vs 17oz. BUT it does depend in part on the weave, of course. My wife has some really tightly woven Jean Shop Rockers that are 12 -13 oz that she swears are nearly totally windproof.It's also a more rugged look, IMO. I just got some BiG-002s that are 16-17 oz, super slubby and definitely not a "refined" look.Durability -- again, on the face of it, yes, 21 oz IH are going to last longer than 12 oz APC's. But alot depends on stitching and how...
No, it's cool. SF usually goes out of its way to disclose conflicts/promotions/quid pro quos -- as it should be. That's why I found the omission here a little odd. At any rate, I think many -- if not most -- SF members have keen bullschnitz detectors and know when someone's shilling.
I'll reluctantly be the skunk at the garden party.Apologies if I missed this, but I only see this disclosure on the PTO web site, at the bottom of the article. I don't see it up in the Styleforum article. To me -- 20 years as a journalist -- this is indeed a "promotional article."It's intended to let people know about a shop for which PTO has traded services for goods. SOP in the blog and magazine worlds.At any rate, good luck to Raul -- love to see crafts passed along,...
Thanks. Were any shoes on sale?BTW last year EG shirts went on 50% off sale a little later. Work shirts were $85-90 IIRC.
Well, definitely try them first. I've found that EG wool pants/shirts are a little looser. If the olive sateen desert pants reappear next season I'm going to jump on a 33 early or give the 32s another shot -- it's a great look.
I won't quote the whole post, but this is spot on. Buy good quality clothes that fit and that are made in a responsible manner. Everything else is false economy. And find a good thrift store -- last week I bought a NOS BBBF short sleeve oxford for $30 and a pair of LLBean Thinsulate/Goretex pull-on boots for the same price. The same store had about 10 BBBF NOS oxfords -- most were size 4 and 1, but proof that the good stuff is out there for the taking.Specific recs. for...
Last season's cotton desert pants were TTS, or maybe even size up one. (I wanted the reversed olive sateen and couldnt make 32w work, even though a 32 in painter pants/fatigues is a bit loose. 33s were sold out) The top block was kinda skimpy for me. YMMV, of course. Wool may be a bit looser, too.