or Connect

Posts by Peter1

Scored M flannel workshirt in gray plaid at sample sale and a pair of gray flannel military pants in 32 -- $80 total. Great deals for women; men's stuff was mostly drab coats/pants, those weird hoodies, a TON of vests, and a rack of hideous (IMO, sorry) Needles stuff. As usual, big guys have best selection -- lots of women scooping up the XS and S men's stuff. However, there's more stock being added all the time -- and for a good cause. Still a few hours left.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambo They've gone off the deep end with their pricing. Jesus, $175 for raw's? Why not just buy the $100 shrink to fits and get the same thing? I think it depends on the value you place on "Made in America." My slightly cynical take on these is there's a LOT of profit built into this model. The optimist in me says maybe if these sell well they'll reopen one of their mothballed U.S. plants, like San Antonio.
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGrotius Black is too obvious man. Try more blues, like this: http://www.us.thomaspink.com/fcp/product/thomas%20pink/Shirts/Blue-and-Purple-Traveller-Manning-Stripe-Men's-Shirt---Button-Cuff/99913604 The Thomas Pink traveller collection might be good, because it has a good silhouette, isn't too form fitting, and resists wrinkles which can be helpful if you've got a lot of real estate. For me it fits baggy. I don't know...
eff it...I'll take a shot based on what stylish big friends of mine wear. I'd look into a good quality tailored blazer. If you dropped, say, $600 including tailoring to shorten sleeves etc., you'd have something you'll have for a long time and can wear in any situation. Since you probably don't have easy access to lots of good stores, I'd go for Brooks Brothers' Web site. This is available in up to a 48 (you may be bigger), but is an example of something that...
VERY interesting. In a lot of ways this undercuts LVC at $250 plus. In other words, unless you HAVE to have a leather patch and a year-specific fit, why spend the extra $60-70? Yeah, I know there are little tweaks to the LVC collection but IMO a mainline USA-made, USA-fabric 501 is actually more "authentic." Now, you could argue that $178 is still way too high a price to pay for what you're getting, especially from a company as large as Levi's. (It's not as if they had...
Quote: Originally Posted by noobizor Hmm, associations... Wasn't A&F originally something you were supposed to associate with big bad old money white guy colonizers adventuring to the heart of exotic locales? Something like a highbrow J Petermann? Lots of khaki stuff with zippers and whatnot? Heh. A & F was an outfitter akin to llb etc, but they've been around a little bit longer -- lat 19th century? I'm old enough to remember the tail...
@whatever: I'm thinking doing the double-layer leather sole. not a huge fan of crepe soles.
^^Thanks, Whatever. I'm seriously considering the Arrow ring mocs -- am weighing how much I'd actually use them in NYC -- and couldn't quite square the price difference.
Quote: Originally Posted by whatever123 maybe quoddy is serving those with two right feet first? that is to funny. awesome pics some poor dude is going to get a pair with two left feet, lol! just an fyi and despite the insole issue, the difference between a pair of quoddys and a pair of $69 beans is the sole on the quoddys wont crack, the leather is better and will last longer, and they hand stitch the shoe. you can also replace the soles on the...
IMO warmth is also a function of fit/engineering. I swear by Patagonia R2...trim fit with bias-cut panels, wears like iron, groovy colors...but costly. However, I have just retired an R2 jacket that lasted for 8 years of hard wear -- probably 100 days a year -- including being worn by my wife through 2 pregnancies (don't ask...). And all the seams are still pristine, the fleece hasn't pilled, and the elastic on cuffs and waist is still pretty stretchy. You can often find...